Skimmer Debate

ORReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2019
Messages
74
Reaction score
80
Location
Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank that I've been having troubles with on and off for years. A small sample of these issues are in my post here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lurker-finally-joined.633395/#post-6295315

My first priority for trying to get stability back is to replace the protein skimmer. My budget is not very big and I currently have no sump (planning to get one down the road) so I've been looking at HOB skimmers, specifically the Reef Octopus BH 90 or BH 1000. I have seen a post somewhere that the BH 90 can be used easily as an in sump skimmer just by removing the inlet pipe so I'm leaning towards that one. What I want to know is what do you think of these models? Which would you prefer? Other options you like better? Also, are there any good places to go to track down quality used gear?

Thanks In Advance!
 
Those RO HOB's are hard to beat.
 
If you can find a used Aquamaxx 1.5 it will run a bit better than the RO ones. Otherwise I might lean towards the 90 since you can expand it down the road.

For used equipment... lfs, local reef group, local facebook group, r2r sale forums, or nano-reef.com (for your skimmer in particular) would be my avenues to look.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new