Skimmer Foam Photo Thread

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does that crusty froth look like bubbling up on top of your skimmer? Let's see that beautiful head of disgusting refuse! Post up your photos of rootbeer float in here with extra points if it's bubbling over the top of your cup! The bigger the head, the better!!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird folks around here. Why on earth would anyone want to photograph skimmate?

Yuck.

Oh, what the heck :)

IMG_20200128_110728.jpg

Vertex Omega 180i. Tank hasn't been running long enough to really be dirty yet.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does that crusty froth look like bubbling up on top of your skimmer? Let's see that beautiful head of disgusting refuse! Post up your photos of rootbeer float in here with extra points if it's bubbling over the top of your cup! The bigger the head, the better!!

Too bad u didn't ask this question yesterday. I cleaned my skimmer last night... and yeah, it was a beautiful thing. (sarcasm)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love chasing my wife around with a dirty skimmer cup. She starts gagging and almost throwing up she cant handle bad smells. then my 6 year old son will get a deep wiff of it right in front of her and she almost pukes! ah its the little things. She cant handle the smell of LRS either its great. How would y'all describe the skimate smell though? Mine has a distinct sulfur low tide at the garbage dump musk, its quite invigorating

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love chasing my wife around with a dirty skimmer cup. She starts gagging and almost throwing up she cant handle bad smells. then my 6 year old son will get a deep wiff of it right in front of her and she almost pukes! ah its the little things. She cant handle the smell of LRS either its great. How would y'all describe the skimate smell though? Mine has a distinct sulfur low tide at the garbage dump musk, its quite invigorating

I've been around beaches that were being dredged. Smells just like that.

Tip: GREAT use for skimmate. I started a super simple pod propagation. Tank water, skim mate, old sponge or similar then I added some Phytoplankton and pods. They like colder temp so put it in my garage (around 45-50 degrees right now). 24 hour lighting. Those little buggers are swimming all over the place now!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked for it. These were cleaned Sunday (it's Tuesday now) They have to be cleaned weekly and both have overflows into "catch" containers. The 120g has a Bubble Magus Curve 5 & the 65g has a Reef Octopus BH50 (it's very tight quarters under my 65g) both work great.

Skimmer 65g.JPG Skimmer 120g.JPG

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@living_tribunal with all that coral poop in your thread, you guys are bound to have foamy skimmers. :D

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been around beaches that were being dredged. Smells just like that.

Tip: GREAT use for skimmate. I started a super simple pod propagation. Tank water, skim mate, old sponge or similar then I added some Phytoplankton and pods. They like colder temp so put it in my garage (around 45-50 degrees right now). 24 hour lighting. Those little buggers are swimming all over the place now!
I like it

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back