Skimmer going crazy on new tank

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Finally cycled my waterbox 100.3. Took almost a month bc went overboard with ammonia - was over 4ppm - used Fritzyme turbo 900. I don't know if it's too early to add a skimmer but tried the Aquamaxx WS-1 in sump and when turned on it went crazy with foam turning to clear liquid and overflowing the cup. *using small skimmer bc eventually adding a santa monica turf scrubber. **no fish, inverts or coral in tank yet. Dont' want to add anything until i solve this skimmer problem. TIA

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all new skimmers do that. You are not doing anything wrong. Let it overflow for a few days to a week and it should stop.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have two issues... a brand new skimmer, which is likely to take time to break in... it will likely just over-flow until then.
issue two, you have a brand new tank, with no fish, so there is nothing to dirty the water, so your skimmer will likely just over-flow until you do.

when I started a new tank and put a brand new skimmer on it, it just over-flowed for about 2 months before it actually started making any skimmate.

I wouldn't expect the skimmer to do much more than over-flow like it is now, until you have some fish in the tank.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I'll guess I'll wait til I add a few fish. *One other thing ( knock wood!!) Haven't gotten any of the "uglies" yet. Not even diatoms. Have a Kessil ap9x light but haven't turned it on yet. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back