Skimmer guard?

BattleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has been talked about on here, I’m certain it has but couldn’t find anything. I have a reef octopus 200int skimmer in my sump and I would like to add a small clean up crew to stay on top of some of the build up my flow pumps and regular maintenance don’t pick up. However having snails or hermits isn’t currently an option since they get sucked into the skimmer. Does anyone make a guard for the intake that’s similar to the guards on the standard pump? I know some people will advise against having snails or hermits in a sump, but I have done this in the past with great success. Back then I just used coarse filter media to protect the skimmer. However, I’m looking for a more robust option that doesn’t require constant cleaning/attention to keep the skimmer operating correctly.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer and never had a issue. The pump/inlet is aimed diagonally towards the baffle. Its been running 24/7 for about 4 years, never removed for cleaning. Once, about a year ago, I had to stick my hand down the neck and wipe the build up inside. A few months ago I disconnected the air tube and let it run, with cup removed, to clear the salt creep from venturi. Only real problem was needing to replace the valve because it would move up/ down, causing skimmer to overflow...

You're actually having issues with yours sucking in clean up crew, or just concerned it will happen? I would imagine and sort of screen or prefilter will catch the stuff skimmer should skim out and reduce flow/capacity of the skimmer. Then require constant adjustment as it gets dirty/ clogged and then again when cleaned.

OP
OP
B

BattleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer and never had a issue. The pump/inlet is aimed diagonally towards the baffle. Its been running 24/7 for about 4 years, never removed for cleaning. Once, about a year ago, I had to stick my hand down the neck and wipe the build up inside. A few months ago I disconnected the air tube and let it run, with cup removed, to clear the salt creep from venturi. Only real problem was needing to replace the valve because it would move up/ down, causing skimmer to overflow...

You're actually having issues with yours sucking in clean up crew, or just concerned it will happen? I would imagine and sort of screen or prefilter will catch the stuff skimmer should skim out and reduce flow/capacity of the skimmer. Then require constant adjustment as it gets dirty/ clogged and then again when cleaned.

I’m having problems with them getting sucked in. Happened 4 days in a row so I pulled them all out for now.

I could fabricate something out of egg crate as suggested but I was hoping someone has 3D printed something that looks better. Ideally, something the exact same as the guard on their standard pumps. It’s plenty big enough to not worry about getting obstructed and causing performance issues, but protected enough to prevent something coming into it.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pull them and put in the display right,or back in the sump? How many snails do you have?! Snails and hermits, shouldn't they be upstairs eating algea and stuff? How much light does your sump get?

OP
OP
B

BattleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled them out of the sump for now until I can get a long term solution. I have an ample clean up crew in my display already. I have found over the years having a smaller crew in the sump does a good job on keeping detritus down in between sump cleanings.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back