Skimmer isn’t working right

  • Thread starter Thread starter riche
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2014
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
439
Location
Metro Detroit
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I have a 40 breeder with a trigger sump

I have tried a bubble magnus curve 5 and a reef octopus 110 and I can’t get either one to stay tuned.

I have tried raising the height, adjusted the 1000 times and I’m still having the same issue.

I get it tuned to where the bubbles just break the surface and I come back the next day and the bubbles are not even half way up the neck.

When it does work for the short time it really pulls out the dark skim but it’s not consistent.

I have had both skimmers at 7.5” 8” and 8.5 years inches.

I have a ato so the water level is always the same

What can I try next?
 
Are any of those skimmers 'recirculating' skimmers? My Reef Octopus external skimmer is not affected by the water level in the sump, and gives me no headaches. A recirculating skimmer is all I would ever use. Just my initial thought-- don't know if that helps in your predicament.
 
Had an old 110 in the past my tuning pratice for it was alway
1. Set to manufacturing water level
2. block the air intake with two fingers so that it creates no bubble.
3. While still holding Use the gate valve adjust the water to the max height of the skimmer body. To the point where you could remove the lid and not have overflown
4. Remove the fingers off the intake and whah lah

If this if the skimmer over flowed with water at this level I’d shut off as there was not enough organic for it to work properly. If your pump is dc you could also drop pump speed down one level then repeat steps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new