Skimmer not producing skimmate for days

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having quite a serious problem now as my skimmer is not producing skimmate for the past few days.

I'm able to see the forming of the bubbles at the neck but the bubbles are not thick enough to bring the dirt out of the water.

My parameters are going way off for PO4 > 1.0ppm and NO3 = > 50ppm.

The only changes I did is changed the brand of my biopellet from NP biopellet to Reef Octopus Biosphere.

Equipment
- Skimz SM257 skimmer
- Bubble magus biopellet reactor BP-100.

Thing I have done today trying to resolving the problem
- Added carbon to remove and chemical and oil in the water
- Cleaned the dirt in the skimmer
- Cleaned the air line tube and air silencer

After doing the above problem still remain, anyone able to advise is the new biopellet causing the problem or is the skimmer problem?

Last edited:
OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you adjusted the water level or air supply on the skimmer yet?

Yes, after cleaning the skimmer my water level went off. Hence, I adjusted back to the level it use to be.

It is working fine for close to 2 years and this happen.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What im saying is if your bubbles arent discharging into the collection cup, you may just need to adjust the skimmer bubble level higher via the white cogged adjustment knob. You changed media and that can have an impact on surface tension. My skimmer goes nuts if i happen to have mistakenly have anything on my hands when reaching into the tank. Any little change in chemistry has the potential to have an impact on skimmer performance.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you changed the brand of your bio-pellets does that mean you swapped them completely out, or just started adding new brand as makeup?

If swapped out completely, I'm thinking you may have decimated your bacteria population temporarily which is going to cause your skimmer to produce less skimmate for a while until it's built back up..which could take several days.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed venturi on pump where air hose connects number one suspect
Being the only change is the biopellets they’re suspect too. Takes a few days for stuff to start growing on new bio pellets. Next time leave some of old mixed in with new.
Do you have pellet reactor feeding into skimmer?

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken apart the pump yet and checked the impeller, it could be dirty or broken.

Nope, I just removed the dirt. If nothing work, I will check in the impeller.

Have u checked to see if the venturi is clogged. That seems to be a problem some don't look at, especially with seasoned skimmers. Just a thought. gl

The venture is not clogged.

If you changed the brand of your bio-pellets does that mean you swapped them completely out, or just started adding new brand as makeup?

If swapped out completely, I'm thinking you may have decimated your bacteria population temporarily which is going to cause your skimmer to produce less skimmate for a while until it's built back up..which could take several days.

I just add the new biopellet to the existing, not replacing completely. I do understand that replace biopellet completely may cause a tank crush due to the bacteria population.

Agreed venturi on pump where air hose connects number one suspect
Being the only change is the biopellets they’re suspect too. Takes a few days for stuff to start growing on new bio pellets. Next time leave some of old mixed in with new.
Do you have pellet reactor feeding into skimmer?

Yes, the outlet of the reactor is directed to the skimmer venturi

WisamAkily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I faced the exact same problem.
I replaced my previous biopellet and started using Reef Octopus Biosphere and the skimmer stopped performing as it used to. All the skimmer adjustments I tried didn't work.
I disconnected the biopellet reactor (Reef Octopus Biosphere) and the skimmer back to normal gradually.
It is obvious that the issue is with the Reef Octopus Biosphere...

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I faced the exact same problem.
I replaced my previous biopellet and started using Reef Octopus Biosphere and the skimmer stopped performing as it used to. All the skimmer adjustments I tried didn't work.
I disconnected the biopellet reactor (Reef Octopus Biosphere) and the skimmer back to normal gradually.
It is obvious that the issue is with the Reef Octopus Biosphere...

Yes, reef octopus biosphere is really giving problem but I realized it too late.

I changed a skimmer to find out. :mad:

Arb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, may i know if OP have resolved the issue? Im having the same problem and im too using reef octopus biosphere for first time. This is the first time i try bio pellets and biosphere is the first brand i have tried.

ddreher47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, may i know if OP have resolved the issue? Im having the same problem and im too using reef octopus biosphere for first time. This is the first time i try bio pellets and biosphere is the first brand i have tried.
Same exact problem here. OCT biosphere, too. Going to need to change it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back