Skimmer option overload

jstephens1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been shopping for a replacement skimmer for the seacone I have now. tank is a 90 gallon with a 20L sump.
I want something quiet and not undersized . how in the world did you narrow down what brand you ended up with?
I think I'm looking at nyos, RO, or the Icecap K2 I would like to stay in the $300-400ish range

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck w/ the small Nyos (120) on my Red Sea 170. Have used Reef Octopus on a couple of larger tanks and have been happy with those as well. To fine the ones for my tank, I narrowed down by size I needed and the read a number of reviews and went with the ones that appeared to be the best for me. I think any reputable skimmer as long as sized correctly and tuned correctly should be able to get the job done for you. I also like to have a drain hole in the collection cup so I can drain the waste into a larger container (I don't have that on the Nyos). On my reef octopus skimmers I also run the Avast Marine Swabbie to keep the neck of the skimmer clean so something Comparable with those is always a plus for me.

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new skimmer. I went with the regal line. I chose it due to it having a controlable pump that I can scale up and down based on how my nutrient levels are doing. It also has auto shut off for a full skimmer cup. I see your want something that is quiet so I would stick with a DC pump. Next I would go onto some of the online stores and read some review, you may find that some of the lines dont perform as well as you would think

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a reef octo and love it

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to add on the Nyos, even though it is not a DC pump it is extremely quiet. I have the tank right next to my desk in my office and when I turn the skimmer on I need to open the door to the sump area to make sure it is on because it is so quiet. I spoke w/ the guys at BRS and told them I needed a quiet skimmer and this was the one they recommended - very happy with it. Been going a little over 6 months now.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck w/ the small Nyos (120) on my Red Sea 170. Have used Reef Octopus on a couple of larger tanks and have been happy with those as well. To fine the ones for my tank, I narrowed down by size I needed and the read a number of reviews and went with the ones that appeared to be the best for me. I think any reputable skimmer as long as sized correctly and tuned correctly should be able to get the job done for you. I also like to have a drain hole in the collection cup so I can drain the waste into a larger container (I don't have that on the Nyos). On my reef octopus skimmers I also run the Avast Marine Swabbie to keep the neck of the skimmer clean so something Comparable with those is always a plus for me.
I’ve considered the nyos but concerned it’s oversized for the reefer 170. I hate messing with an oversized skimmers inconsistent performance. I guess your experience has been good

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been happy with the performance. I have to empty the cup every 2-3 weeks. My bio load is 5 fish in my 170 and like to skim on the dry side.

Back