Skimmer Overflowing at Random. Thoughts?

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank 120g (system has been set up for 2 years)

3 Chamber Sump ~30g with skimmer in the center
400calc, 9alk, 5-10 nitrates, .05-1 PO4
Skimmer- Trigger Systems: Bursa (anyone know a good Trigger Systems Contact on R2R?)

So about 6 weeks ago I ran one round of Red Slime Remover. I have a 2/3rds dose and I followed the post dose instruction 2x. This means 2 rounds of carbon and 2 25% water changes. (skimmer still going crazy after this 1.5wk process)

Fast forward 4 weeks, more carbon and 4 10% water changes. That leads up to today. The skimmer is still super touchy and has been randomly going WAY out of control even at the lowest level possible. I still haven't been able to resume pre red slime remover levels at any point

What do you guys think I should do? Could it still be the red slime or is it an difference factor and the red slime is a coincidence?
I change nothing from my day to day that would make the skimmer go crazy on Wednesday afternoon and then gradually come down by Friday afternoon...

Also, skimmer pulls outside air from about 6" above grade. Could this possibly be a factor?

The skimmer has been soaked in vinegar in the last 5 months and I keep it clean and pay close attention to my tanks and gear daily.

Help me Reef2Reef, you're my only hope

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean it after you did the red slime treatment?

OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean it after you did the red slime treatment?
Thanks for the reply. I cleaned the skimmer last night. Can you elaborate why this would necessary? If you have a reason behind this advice, I totally understand if you don't! Never hurts

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are great pieces of equipment.
When you have a new skimmer it takes time to break in due to the oils on the acrylic.
Bacteria will eventually house the sides of the skimmer that will help the skimmer to perform.
Red slime X is a bad boy and it can kill cyano alright but it will take other things in it way no doubt.
I have once used red slime remover about 19 years ago and it took a while that my skimmer got broken in again.
I dialed my PM Venturi skimmer that it wasn’t skimming but still oxygenate the water.
After three weeks I dialed it slowly back and day by day it did better.
Never more red slime remover for me, just dose H2O2 and dose some oyster feast with your frozen food twice a week and after a week or so you’ll see results with no harm to equipment or livestock.
Not that long ago a hobbyist @AngryOwl on here ask me if I can help him as he lived close to me.
Two hours of my time putting some eyes on his system, advice on the cyano and it is slowly disappearing in his tank.

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about Red Slime, but I know that installing a new Filter Sock, or using epoxy for your plugs can make a skimmer go crazy, too.

That said, the Bursa seems to be a skimmer rated for 300 gallons based on the quick search I did. How well stocked is your 120? You might be getting inconsistent performance because there's not enough surface tension on the bubbles.

OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are great pieces of equipment.
When you have a new skimmer it takes time to break in due to the oils on the acrylic.
Bacteria will eventually house the sides of the skimmer that will help the skimmer to perform.
Red slime X is a bad boy and it can kill cyano alright but it will take other things in it way no doubt.
I have once used red slime remover about 19 years ago and it took a while that my skimmer got broken in again.
I dialed my PM Venturi skimmer that it wasn’t skimming but still oxygenate the water.
After three weeks I dialed it slowly back and day by day it did better.
Never more red slime remover for me, just dose H2O2 and dose some oyster feast with your frozen food twice a week and after a week or so you’ll see results with no harm to equipment or livestock.
Not that long ago a hobbyist @AngryOwl on here ask me if I can help him as he lived close to me.
Two hours of my time putting some eyes on his system, advice on the cyano and it is slowly disappearing in his tank.

That seems very logical. That said, I haven't had this issue after doing a full vinegar soak on my skimmer and components. I have used H202 for algae issues in the past. If anything the skimmer is over performing. If only my collection cup were 18" higher... then the bubbles would never make it to the top!!

I'm not sure about Red Slime, but I know that installing a new Filter Sock, or using epoxy for your plugs can make a skimmer go crazy, too.

That said, the Bursa seems to be a skimmer rated for 300 gallons based on the quick search I did. How well stocked is your 120? You might be getting inconsistent performance because there's not enough surface tension on the bubbles.

They are new, old filter socks. Meaning that they have been through the washing/drying process several times. No epoxy either. At least nothing that directly corresponds with the overflows. I am going to have to keep a log of changing socks versus overflows... maybe there is a correlation there that I haven't picked up on.
The load is moderate and I feed my fish 2-3 times per day 6 moderately sized fish in a 120.
1 4" Blue throat
1 5-3/4" Sargassum
1 5" Magnificent FoxFace
1 Large Starry Blenny
1 Medium Candy Hogfish
... lol I guess i only have 5 fish. The triggers are worth 2 :)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer would overflow on Tuesday when I was out all week on a business trip, every Tuesday for 8 weeks. Yeap that was, well; fun!!!!!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back