Skimmer overflowing with newly added roller filter

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Klir roller filter to my tank 3 days ago. My skimmer -a bubble magus 3.5 - went crazy. I turned it off for 2 days, and turned it back on yesterday but no change. I then left it on for 24 hours and still no change. The skimmer overflows like crazy.

What should I do? If I keep it running will it get better? I had read that when people add new filter socks, the skimmer can go crazy. This sounds like that. Given that the roller filter rolls in new filter material daily - it just keeps on rolling in a bit of new fleece as the old fleece clogs- does it mean my skimmer will never stop overflowing ?

Any suggestions/experience appreciated.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to re-tune your skimmer. I'm planning to add a fleece roller down the road, so your scenario has me intrigued. The only time my Nyos skimmer goes nuts is when I take it out for a thorough scrubbing every 3-4 months (it's never overflowed when using new sock filters). Is it possible the addition of the Klir changed the water level in the skimmer chamber?

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. The water level is exactly the same. And in fact, nothing else had changed in the tank which is why I pointed at the roller filter. But frankly it took me by surprise. So many people use roller filters with skimmers and yet I have not been able to find this issue mentioned elsewhere. I posted this to see whether it is in fact something expected and thus people don’t mention it. In any case if anyone has any thoughts on it, I would welcome it.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few KLIR filters on different tanks and yes I see this effect your talking about but only for a very short time and usually when a new roll of fleece is installed. Usually once the roll gets wet from water weeping up the roll, my skimmers are fine. This usually takes only a few days.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this happen that whether it’s socks, filter pads (carbon, phos, nitrate etc) or a new roll of fleece this will happen and if the placement of the skimmer is “downwind” if you will, the skimmer will react. But if you're able to have the natural flow of your sump first hit your skimmer then your roller then your return pump. Problem may be solved. Good luck.

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few KLIR filters on different tanks and yes I see this effect your talking about but only for a very short time and usually when a new roll of fleece is installed. Usually once the roll gets wet from water weeping up the roll, my skimmers are fine. This usually takes only a few days.
Thanks. So what do you do during those few days? Do you keep the skimmer running and let it overflow? Or do you turn it off for a few days and then turn it on?

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this happen that whether it’s socks, filter pads (carbon, phos, nitrate etc) or a new roll of fleece this will happen and if the placement of the skimmer is “downwind” if you will, the skimmer will react. But if you're able to have the natural flow of your sump first hit your skimmer then your roller then your return pump. Problem may be solved. Good luck.
My sump is tiny - this is a 26g nanotank with a Fiji cube 12 nano sump. So there is no way to change the arrangement. The water first hits the klir and then the skimmer and bio balls and finally the return pump.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have DC skimmers so I turn down the speed setting for a few days with a reminder.

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have DC skimmers so I turn down the speed setting for a few days with a reminder.
Ok, thanks. I’ll keep on running mine at the lowest bubble setting (no DC option for my skimmer) and let it overflow for a few more days and hopefully it’ll settle down.

So I guess this means every time I replace the fleece roll I’ll have to go through a skimmer break-in period as if I bought a new skimmer ( my skimmer took about 5 days to break in).

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. I’ll keep on running mine at the lowest bubble setting (no DC option for my skimmer) and let it overflow for a few more days and hopefully it’ll settle down.

So I guess this means every time I replace the fleece roll I’ll have to go through a skimmer break-in period as if I bought a new skimmer ( my skimmer took about 5 days to break in).
This is happening to me too, not just when I replace a roll but every time the roller filter advances. I’m a bit baffled what’s causing it…

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this issue with the Klir DI-4. Skimmer overflows every time the fleece advances. I noticed that the skimmer pump intake was right in front of the opening where the water comes out of the Klir. I just flipped it around to see if having the intake as far away from that opening as possible will make any difference.

Edit: the Klir has run 5 times since I made the change and no overflow! Going to keep an eye on it for a while longer.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back