Skimmer Purchase Advice for SPS 220g

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

I've pretty much had it with my NYOS 220, and plan to replace it in the next 30 days or so. Can anyone suggest a great skimmer for an SPS dominate tank with what will be a medium bio-load?

I'd like to stay below $1200 for the skimmer if possible.

Appreciate any advice and recommendations.

-Bill

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited skimmer experience. I have an older design: a super reef octopus 5000 space saver. It works very well.

You could look at the write up on skimmers at Bulk Reef Supply. They still sell super reef octopus and one of those would work. Reef octopus makes a newer line of skimmers ... the Regal Line and they look interesting.

From what they say, the Vertex line of skimmers is top of the line and one of those is in your budget.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus now and its is very well made. No complaints. It is however a external model for a 1000+ gallon tank with medium bio-load. On my 125g I had 2 Reef Octopus skimmers over the years. One came with the tank. I sold that one and got the space saver model because I wanted the stand to be shorter in height. Both worked great.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do my usual thing and suggest you look at a Lifereef Skimmer, well under your budget, solid skimmers with a long term proven track record. I'd suggest atleast the 30 if you can fit it in your space.

A side benefit to them aesthetic wise, Jeff will make it with whatever coloured acrylic you want. Nice to have a top notch piece of equipment fit right in with the look of your setup.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll look at the LifeReef for sure. Space in my sump is tight, but the NYOS fits, and has a pretty decent sized foot-print.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll look at the LifeReef for sure. Space in my sump is tight, but the NYOS fits, and has a pretty decent sized foot-print.

In all honesty they have a rather larger footprint but, if it can fit, I don't think you will regret it one bit. Heck for $1200 Jeff will build you a sump that it will fit in :p

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty they have a rather larger footprint but, if it can fit, I don't think you will regret it one bit. Heck for $1200 Jeff will build you a sump that it will fit in :p

Thanks. Just looked. Wow, that website needs some tweaking. :) But, very clear he makes a great product. Not sure I can make it fit, however. :(

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Just looked. Wow, that website needs some tweaking. :) But, very clear he makes a great product. Not sure I can make it fit, however. :(

Lol he's certainly not a techy guy, but alot like his website, his skimmers aren't the fanciest looking but they just work. Could you maybe go with an external skimmer? All of his models are available externally as well. For reference my SV24 takes up an 8" by roughly 12" space including the pump, it is larger than most but you can also relocate the pump to another part of your sump and save space or run it off a manifold (but you'd need a much stronger pump to do so), the skimmer body itself is only 8" x 8"

You know you wanna...
BG.JPG.jpg

;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Deltec looks interesting for sure. I wonder what the lead time is for shipping. I need a new skimmer sooner that later. :)

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, so it's a toss-up between the Reef Octopus Elite 220SSS, or the Deltec 1500ix. The Deltec is a bit cheaper, but willing to pay more if the Reef Octopus is the better skimmer.

If you had to chose, which one would you want for your tank?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec. You can completely disassemble it in under 5 minutes. Very easy to adjust. Manual cleaning head actually works. Well made.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back