Skimmer skimmate released back into water column

George Villasenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My protein skimmer overflowed and released all the skim-mate it accumulated (I knew it was getting full but my lazy a** wanted to put it off until Sunday when I get back from visiting family) happened without me present and told roommates to run off certain equipment. Currently all the released skim-mate is in the sump area and not pumped back into the display (acropora dominated), should I just make a 10-15% water change on the sump when I get back to my tank or would it not be a big problem to just turn on the return and dial the skimmer again and run as normal. (50g display, 35g sump, running triton method if the info is needed)

Skimmer- reef octopus 152-s

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may keep the sump offline, may not. Had overflows with no issues. Never tested just after one either though, but no impact to livestock. I suspect a lot of skimmate may not be bioavailable which reduces impact.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. It's happened to me before. I just run the skimmer wet for a few days and it's fine. I also added a float switch to the skimmer cup so if it gets high itll turn off the skimmer

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger question is "Who here has never had that happen?" ha. I would just let it run 30 min with the return pump off, skim wet and call it a day. Honestly, I just clean up the skimmer some and turn it back on. My corals never seemed to care. Probably helped them by adding nutrients back into the tank.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My protein skimmer overflowed and released all the skim-mate it accumulated (I knew it was getting full but my lazy a** wanted to put it off until Sunday when I get back from visiting family) happened without me present and told roommates to run off certain equipment. Currently all the released skim-mate is in the sump area and not pumped back into the display (acropora dominated), should I just make a 10-15% water change on the sump when I get back to my tank or would it not be a big problem to just turn on the return and dial the skimmer again and run as normal. (50g display, 35g sump, running triton method if the info is needed)

Skimmer- reef octopus 152-s
Mine does it often....no impact to my tank. Also adjust the skimmer

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is happening to me right now. I completely closed the air intake but it still producing lots of bubble that the cup keep filling up with what it seems clear saltwater and not brown or anything.

what do I need to do? Help?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back