Skimmer suggestions for new sump.

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a skimmer on my sump.

I did a custom sump and now upgrading to a trigger system crystal 18x18 sump. Details in piks below.

Skimmer section is 10.8 in by 11.0 in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tank is a 40g breeder but going to be upgraded to a 100.3 waterbox or red sea reefer 350 or 450 so if I can can a sump that would work now, and then when I complete the upgrade in a year that would be awesome. But it's ok if that's not the case.

I'm not married to any brands I know reef octopus is one I hear about a lot but again I have no preferences. Again any input would be awesome I don't know a lot about skimmers other than some brs videos I've watched on the subject, best skimmers of 2019 and brs 52 weeks of reefing.

Thanks,

Screenshot_20201005-010028.png Screenshot_20201005-010014.png

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to upgrade to the RSR 350/450 then would suggest the Red Sea 300 or 600 skimmers. Lots of good features.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10.8x11 is plenty of room for most skimmers that would work for your size tank. Although you may wish to look for a skimmer with the pump inside the body if you would like to ever keep anything else in that section such as a reactor. The fact that you are open to any skimmer is a good thing for sure since skimmers are one of the things in this hobby which can be had for far less money used vs new. So if you are patient and willing to keep an eye out on Craigslist and the like you could save yourself a ton of money. The other thing I would say about skimmers is that they can be quite fussy if oversized so keep that in mind. Also skimmers need not be a one man army, there are many other good filtration methods to supplement an undersized skimmer.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the info. I have a good sized cheato and that's what I've been healthy and running for months, started the size of a base ball and has grown like crazy, but I think it's time to get into the skimmer game. I'm starting to add sps and would like to up nutrient export. I'll be honest, I'm 50/50 on used stuff most the time I would rather spend the extra $100 and get it new and worry free, but I'll keep an eye out and an open mind.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back