Skimmer thoughts DC vs AC

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a reef octopus 150int SSS with the varios DC pump for a little over a year. But no too long ago my 120 blew a seam, so like any good wanna be reefer, I upgraded to a 180. Ran this undersized skimmer but wasn't getting the nutrient control I wanted so bigger tank...bigger skimmer.

At first it seemed like a no brainer to me to get another DC skimmer because if the extra tunability. Then as I was shopping and thinking about how I used the skimmer the extra money for the DC pump just didn't seem worth it. Unless I am wrong, 100% possible, but I always wanted to get as much air as possible to be a good foam so I ran mine wide open and adjusted the water height. I tried different levels of air but this is how I always got the best results. Which is how an ac unit works anyway. So considering how I was using the tool an ac unit made sense to me.

So I went with an eshopps S-300 which is a little oversized for my tank by the gallons rating but it is 18 hours in and skimming like a champ. No noticable increase in noise level so I couldn't be happier and I saved a few hundred dollars by just stopping and thinking about how I was using the tool and what is the best fit for me and not what is the newest and best this round. We all get caught in wanting the latest and greatest.

Curious if anyone else has had something similar with a different piece of equipment?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an established tank ac skimmer is fine. But when first setting up a tank, using an oversized ac skimmer won't work well. Having dc helps because you can tune it better and ramp up the pump as bioload increases.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the argument or choice is not AV vs DC, but just get a good skimmer. Not all of them are as good as others and while some have never managed to get the balance of flow, air and contact time right, some have absolutely nailed it. I have no use for most RO skimmers, but I have an older one with a Sicce PSK pump that is an absolute beast. I tried 3 DC models after this and they were not as good - not a AC vs DC thing, just bad marriage of parts. I would find one that has absolutely awesome reviews from seasoned reefers who know what good skimmers look like and then go for it. If it were me, I would rather buy a Tunze or ASM than most newer models that seem like they make weak tea compared to these tried-and-true units... of course LifeReef always works too.

OP
OP
jcates

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an established tank ac skimmer is fine. But when first setting up a tank, using an oversized ac skimmer won't work well. Having dc helps because you can tune it better and ramp up the pump as bioload increases.
Actually very good point I hadn't thought of and I did use it that way. Never forget how you got where you are now I guess. Thanks

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of each and I dont think it makes much difference.
One I turn the pump down on the controller. The other I just put some PVC pipe under it to fine tune the water level.
Once they are going I don't bother either very often.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the original post. I think the DC thing is a bit of a hype. I have a DC return pump but I always run it full blast. Will probably get an AC pump once this one puckers out.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 120 with a Tunze 9410dc. It worked well for 18 months then no3 went up to 20ish.
I replaced it with a 9430dc and no3 is now <3.
With the 9430dc I have the pump in 5" of water. I was in 6.5" and only able to run the lowest dc setting.
By raising it I can now run at 70% and am getting 300ml of skim a day where before I was getting 300ml every 4 days.

Unless I run a lifereef venturi skimmer, dc pumps and Tunze skimmers, are for me and very underrated too.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Nyos 120 and 160, worked well. Royal Exclusive dc is much nicer, scrubber is easily attached, no complaints here!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back