Skimmer too big ?

ClosetReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my current set up, I have a 35 cube with a reef octo classic 150INT in the sump. The skimmer is still in the break in period with about 10 days on the clock currently. A few issues that have me questioning is the skimmer just too big for this system. Water level in sump is 9 1/4 to 9 1/2 inches. Being new, it’s foam-a-palooza. I have pulled the drain plug on the cup and am allowing it drain back into the sump(is this a mistake). Right now it’s just super wet “boiling over” into the cup foam. The outflow from the gate valve, which is fully open is also super foamy, which all leads to a cloud of micro bubbles in the display. There isn’t a means, at least with what came in the box to throttle the pump or the air intake for the skimmer. Is this all just “par for the course “ with a still being broke in skimmer or should I being making adjustments/changes already ?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like that skimmer and am currently running several Reef Octopus skimmers including 110INT, 150INT, 130, and 150SSS. Yes, the 150INT is definitely above the RO specs for a 35g tank even if it has a heavy bioload. I am running a 150INT on a 70g (including sump; which is still oversized) and it works appropriately. It isn't unusual to have a lot of bubbles during a break in period, however I would recommend that you raise the skimmer (or lower the water level in the sump) so the skimmer sits no more than 8" below the water level (maybe even less at first).

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its too large but try running at lowest setting. Perfect unit would be an icecap K-2 (50 or 100).
Consider keeping unit if you feel you may upgrade to larger system in the future

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back