Skimmer Tuning

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this skimmer for about 6 months now and apparently am still failing to tune it properly. I watched several videos online that say to tune it so that the bubbles break at the neck. However I always end up with a giant bubble bath in my sump just days later. I have continued to tune it lower and lower (currently the bubbles break only a couple inches above the inlet) but still the same results. I attached 2 pics one of where the big bubbles currently break and two is the aftermath. Any thoughts?

PXL_20210804_003925941.jpg PXL_20210804_003941452.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that you likely have either a lot of organics, oils, or surfactants in your water. I would run it as much as you can and empty it daily or even hourly until it’s calms down and you get it all out of your water.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not. That being said about a month ago I used Chemiclean and was vodka dosing. Figured it would be good by now. Came home today after leaving the lid off to this.... This is after tuning it down considerable more

Attachments

• PXL_20210804_233827777.jpg
    PXL_20210804_233827777.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 36

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the water level in relation to the output of the Skimmer? If it's too high, it can be very difficult to get dialed in.

Reeferdeluxe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is overflowing because of heavy organics you can add a light coating of vegetable oil to top of skimmer cup and top of the sides on the cup.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the water level in relation to the output of the Skimmer? If it's too high, it can be very difficult to get dialed in.
I recently raised it another inch higher to the point where it is very difficult now to remove the cup and put it back (hitting roof of the cabinet).
If it is overflowing because of heavy organics you can add a light coating of vegetable oil to top of skimmer cup and top of the sides on the cup.
Should I put some on the neck of the skimmer as well or just the collection cup?

Thanks for all the help!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not. That being said about a month ago I used Chemiclean and was vodka dosing. Figured it would be good by now. Came home today after leaving the lid off to this.... This is after tuning it down considerable more
I had to run my skimmer to a bucket and ended up with almost 2 gallons in there before the chemiclean was gone.

Reeferdeluxe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just top of cup lid and upper sides of the cup. There are a couple youtube videos about it as well. Worked for me in the past.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just top of cup lid and upper sides of the cup. There are a couple youtube videos about it as well. Worked for me in the past.
I didn't have any vegetables oil in my pantry so just used Olive Oil. Worked like magic. So far not a bubble overflow in sight! Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back