skimmer with meds - microbubbles

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
87EF7583-21D4-481A-93DD-E134E63ED6CF.jpeg

I’m running Azithromycin for lyngbya. First time medicating my tank (tank will be 2 in February). I plan to dose fluconozole after for GHA. I know I am supposed to run the skimmer without the cup to keep the water oxygenated. My tank is full of microbubbles and my corals are not happy. I shut off the skimmer and my frogspawn started opening back up. My mushrooms are shriveled and my montis are pale. My hammers are also retracted. Is this normal? Will they be okay? Is there a way to reduce microbubbles during treatment? How long can the corals tolerate the microbubbles? Thanks for any guidance. I hate that I had to resort to medicating my tank.
5979E3C7-F724-4CB1-859D-77F25FEBAC57.png
5979E3C7-F724-4CB1-859D-77F25FEBAC57.png
87EF7583-21D4-481A-93DD-E134E63ED6CF.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think its hard to know if its 1)the medication causing the irritation, 2) the bubbles causing the irritation or 3) they dying cyanobacteria that is causing the irritation. Once you've done the dose - I would add carbon, wet skim (let the skim mate go down into a bucket) and then dump the skim mate when necessary - replacing with Fresh mixed water - kind of like a water change

OP
OP
Reefrats

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its hard to know if its 1)the medication causing the irritation, 2) the bubbles causing the irritation or 3) they dying cyanobacteria that is causing the irritation. Once you've done the dose - I would add carbon, wet skim (let the skim mate go down into a bucket) and then dump the skim mate when necessary - replacing with Fresh mixed water - kind of like a water change
Thanks - I shut off the skimmer and within minutes the frogspawn started opening up. I turned it back on based on instructions and everyone is still mad. Per instructions I’m supposed to leave skimmer cup off and not use carbon for 4 days then put on cup and run carbon for 4 days then 20% water change.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the skimmer almost fully with the air closed, i have a nyos and it always bubbles like crazy when i add anything new

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - I shut off the skimmer and within minutes the frogspawn started opening up. I turned it back on based on instructions and everyone is still mad. Per instructions I’m supposed to leave skimmer cup off and not use carbon for 4 days then put on cup and run carbon for 4 days then 20% water change.
Exactly - follow the directions - then - wet skim - watching carefully for overflow - and then replace the skim mate. EVENTIALLY - slowly the Azithromycin will be gone - and you are good - and the corals will be good. Leave your skimmer running overflow - until the 4 days IMHO.

OP
OP
Reefrats

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the skimmer almost fully with the air closed, i have a nyos and it always bubbles like crazy when i add anything new
I also have a nyos. I did close the air back down but the microbubbles in the tank make the tank look turbid. This was day 2. Two more days and I can start skimming this crud out. Thanks

OP
OP
Reefrats

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly - follow the directions - then - wet skim - watching carefully for overflow - and then replace the skim mate. EVENTIALLY - slowly the Azithromycin will be gone - and you are good - and the corals will be good. Leave your skimmer running overflow - until the 4 days IMHO.
Thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back