Skimmers, which is better ??

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone, I have a question about skimmers.

First... it's a 125 NOT drilled and NO sump at this time.

So, I would like to know which type of skimmer is best, hob or can I use the type that goes in a sump without a sump?
I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm running RUGF but my phosphate is high and I need to get it down to where I can start adding corals.
I have a hippo tang,
pinnatus batfish ( who is hand fed),
2 ocellaris clowns
3 green mandrins (1 male, 2 females) and a target feeder for them.

I have a huge pod population.. both copepods and amphipods, and I worry about siphoning any of them out when I clean the sand bed.

Parameters are.. ( sorry API tests, working on getting better tests )
Salinity is 1.025
Ph is hanging at 7.8
Alk is 10
Ammonia...0
Nitrites.....0
Nitrates.... 5-10
Calcium is over 400
Phosphate is showing 10+ per API.

I remove the gha by hand constantly, but I really want to get this tank in better shape.
It's been running for a year and a half.

Thanks everyone for the help :)

Last edited:

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to build a stand to put one in the tank, most only want to be in 7-9" of water. Even then, it would be unsightly. Maybe you could build a pseudo overflow box to hide it.

I dont have much experience with HOB skimmers, but I know some work fairly well. I believe Deltec makes one which I would trust. Not sure any of them are rated for such a large tank.

I would add a sump personally.

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to build a stand to put one in the tank, most only want to be in 7-9" of water. Even then, it would be unsightly. Maybe you could build a pseudo overflow box to hide it.

I dont have much experience with HOB skimmers, but I know some work fairly well. I believe Deltec makes one which I would trust. Not sure any of them are rated for such a large tank.

I would add a sump personally.
Thanks, I plan to add a sump, but we're still trying to figure out if we're going to have to move soon.
I'll look up the brand you listed.
I may have to run a couple hob to get anywhere.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i swear paul b has a homemade skimmer that is not in the tank and he doesnt run a sump...think it stands on the floor....but i have no clue how its plumbed

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corallife marine is a decent hob protein skimmer my buddy still uses one I bought for a 30g tank at least 5 years ago and it still works fine. You would need few of them (at least 3) to do anything for a 125 though.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimz and aquamaxx make hob skimmers. Esshops and reef ocotopus too. I had a cpr bak pak back in the day. Complete garbage imo. Looking back knowing what i know now...all it needed was a better pump.
D

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i swear paul b has a homemade skimmer that is not in the tank and he doesnt run a sump...think it stands on the floor....but i have no clue how its plumbed
I've seen his pictures of it. Lol that sucker is huge.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your situation, the best option is the Tunze Comline skimmers. It goes right in the tank and surface skims. The DC version will work best.

And no chance of leaking on your floor like a hang on back.

Also, its barely noticeable when installed. Especially if you have a black background.

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your situation, the best option is the Tunze Comline skimmers. It goes right in the tank and surface skims. The DC version will work best.

And no chance of leaking on your floor like a hang on back.

Also, its barely noticeable when installed. Especially if you have a black background.
I do have a black background. Sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. I'll check them out.
Thank you.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a black background. Sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. I'll check them out.
Thank you.

I have one of the DC versions in the back of one of my all in one tanks. Of course its in the back chamber, but there is nothing like it for the job. It outperforms every other option you would have without a sump

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the DC versions in the back of one of my all in one tanks. Of course its in the back chamber, but there is nothing like it for the job. It outperforms every other option you would have without a sump
Thanks for the info, I will check them out.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back