Skimz Leopard L75 Circulation pump

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased one of these at the 80% off flash sale on BRS. It has a 1980 flow rate at 13ft max head. The issue that I am having is that i cant find a flow chart for this pump ANYWHERE. I need it to go 8ft and give me 300-420 gph at that height. I am running a basement sump and running the flex line straight up to a 60g frag tank display. I am hoping this will be enough initial flow to get up the 8ft and give me the 350ish gph i need at the display. Any help determining if i am good or will have to return would be great. One other thing i am going to have to deal with is the return diameter of the tank is only 3/4 inch and the pump is 1 1/4 inch so 1/2 inch difference. I am gonna assume that the best place to put the reducer(s) will be right after the pump outlet? or should it be right before the bulkhead? or am i screwed there too. Good thing BRS has a good return policy.

tygger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say find specs for the askoll motor block, but I couldn't find anything on it either. I can't even find reviews on this leopard pump...

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right?

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at these a few months back and decided against them due to the minuscule information and reviews on them. They at least have a quality motor block on them but I don’t think you will find much information. I looked for a couple of weeks. I almost bought one today as an emergency pump.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which other pumps use the askoll motor block?

The Fluval SP series of pumps as well as the Laguna Max Flo series. Both have stellar, rock solid reputations for reliability and longevity. I believe the old Water Blaster pumps by Reef Octopus used Askoll motor blocks as well.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking you'll have plenty of flow but I agree it would be nice to have a chart to confirm it. I picked up the L90 (2375gph) when I really wanted the L60 (1700gph). L60 were all snatched up already. So I'm actually hoping it's not TOO much flow. Just couldn't resist the deal.

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one thing is for sure with all the pumps they sold today it won’t be long before there should be an abundance of information and reviews on these pumps. I think it is genius marketing. Think about it:a pump with next to no info and very few reviews. now bam the market will be saturated with these and plenty of information will follow if they’re good pumps every will know if not everyone will know. I picked up a L75 and am super stoked to try it out. Thank You @Bulk Reef Supply

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Skimz directly and got a copy of the flow chart. I ended up with a 75 and the 160. may keep both just to have as a back up or to use to trade for a wave maker. the 160 looks to be WAY too much and the 75 should be just right. Hope this helps everyone

001.jpg

tygger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the smaller pumps don't handle head pressure very well, similar to the Fluval SP pumps.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the L60 which was said to be a 1700 GPH pump but the flow chart says 1350 at zero feet. Not a big deal as I plan to use my for a mixing station. I do wonder if I can use the pump externally, as it appears to be possible from the pictures.

kayatela

CoralTrack.com Founder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the L60 which was said to be a 1700 GPH pump but the flow chart says 1350 at zero feet. Not a big deal as I plan to use my for a mixing station. I do wonder if I can use the pump externally, as it appears to be possible from the pictures.

Did you ever determine whether it can be used externally?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back