Skimz Protein Skimmer Tuning

ReefCaptain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used Skimz SM167 protein skimmer for my 125G tank. I’m having a thought time tuning it… once I have everything set the way I want it and skimming nicely, couple hours later I come back to find the cup overflowing. I adjust again and the next day, for no reason the water level is way to high with cup overflowing or the level is way too low. Anyone with some experience with this skimmer on how to best tune it?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently purchased a used Skimz SM167 protein skimmer for my 125G tank. I’m having a thought time tuning it… once I have everything set the way I want it and skimming nicely, couple hours later I come back to find the cup overflowing. I adjust again and the next day, for no reason the water level is way to high with cup overflowing or the level is way too low. Anyone with some experience with this skimmer on how to best tune it?

Are you sure that you're skimmer is in the correct depth of water? I had to raise mine up a couple inches to avoid this problem. it is also possible that you just have a lot of 'stuff to skim' in your tank - thus its overflowing. Lastly - I would not tune it to 'how you want it' at the start - I would start slower and very gradually increase it. I.e. - start below the level you want it at.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that you're skimmer is in the correct depth of water? I had to raise mine up a couple inches to avoid this problem. it is also possible that you just have a lot of 'stuff to skim' in your tank - thus its overflowing. Lastly - I would not tune it to 'how you want it' at the start - I would start slower and very gradually increase it. I.e. - start below the level you want it at.
What they said, i also have skimz. Didnt they go “out of business “ i tried getting support for my controller and ended up ditching the pump overall and got a reef octo pump instead.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back