Skin Disease on Green Chromis, is this Uronema?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts,

Bought a few fishes including a couple of green chromis. As usual, started my QT process with copper for 30 days.. during this period noticed tiny brown patches developing on one of the chromis. Just thought that it could be caused by some kind of injury... i didt'n think it could be a big issue.

After the QT cycle, I put it in my DT and as the patches were developing further.. I decided to move it back to QT again for further treatment. After a few weeks of threatment (with Kanaplex, General Cure, Paragaurd, Mela + Pumafix), i dont think the brown patches reduced much.

The above is only seen on that one fish, otherwise it look healty and eating well too... here are the latest pics.
20220218_115011.jpg

20220218_114640.jpg
20220218_114648.jpg

Are these signs of uronema? What should I do next? What medication I should try next?

As I relased it into the DT for a few days.. will this infect the other fishes? So, far no signs of any similar symtomps.

There are a few other fishes in QT with it.. they look healty and no signs of any similar symtomps... should i be worried about them too?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
B
May be the beginning of such or bacterial
You can give this guy formalin bath or ruby rally pro as a preventative measure

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm not a world renowned expert, but that does not look like Uronema to me. I freaked out when I saw some scales missing on my chromis (which I think is what's going on with yours) and thought it was uronema. When you really have uronema it will be obvious. They have vibrant red spots on them that are unmistakable. Keep an eye on him because the ones with missing scales are most likely to develop uronema. If you notice it, treat with metroplex for 14 days.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B
May be the beginning of such or bacterial
You can give this guy formalin bath or ruby rally pro as a preventative measure
Thanks, i have ruby rally pro... are there any common/popular brands with formalin out there?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks, i have ruby rally pro... are there any common/popular brands with formalin out there?
Quick cure if you can find it

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm not a world renowned expert, but that does not look like Uronema to me. I freaked out when I saw some scales missing on my chromis (which I think is what's going on with yours) and thought it was uronema. When you really have uronema it will be obvious. They have vibrant red spots on them that are unmistakable. Keep an eye on him because the ones with missing scales are most likely to develop uronema. If you notice it, treat with metroplex for 14 days.
Oh... thanks... will do that.

Normally, how long it will take for the scales to grow back... this guys been like this for about 2 months now.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update... just completing a cycle of treatment with ruby rally pro but no much changes noticed to the condition of the chromis... so should i continue the medication or just drop it back into DT? Thanks.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefCheef, you were spot on... very soon after my last post the poor fish developed uronema.. and died soon after. Unfortunately, i was not able to run any specific medication for it as suggested as i was half way through the copper cycle in the QT (where this fish were) at that point. And it is strongly discouraged to mix other medicines with copper.

My question is... i have another green chromis in QT that is showing similar symtomps. I have a few other fish going through copper cycle now (2 tang, 2 gold chromis & 2 black bar chromis). Are the other fish at risk of contracting uronema as well? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how my other green chromis looking now...

20220327_165406.jpg

It is eating well but im sure it is not easy for it.. will it spread to my othe fishes?

Shoul i stop the copper cycle? What should i be treating this fish with?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220327_165406.jpg

It is eating well but im sure it is not easy for it.. will it spread to my othe fishes?

Multiple spots of red like that isn't typical of Uronema. What other fish are in the tank with it, could it be aggression?

Jay

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220327_165406.jpg

That looks like uroma to me. Looks like its spreading internally

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts,

Bought a few fishes including a couple of green chromis. As usual, started my QT process with copper for 30 days.. during this period noticed tiny brown patches developing on one of the chromis. Just thought that it could be caused by some kind of injury... i didt'n think it could be a big issue.

After the QT cycle, I put it in my DT and as the patches were developing further.. I decided to move it back to QT again for further treatment. After a few weeks of threatment (with Kanaplex, General Cure, Paragaurd, Mela + Pumafix), i dont think the brown patches reduced much.

The above is only seen on that one fish, otherwise it look healty and eating well too... here are the latest pics.
20220218_115011.jpg

20220218_114640.jpg
20220218_114648.jpg

Are these signs of uronema? What should I do next? What medication I should try next?

As I relased it into the DT for a few days.. will this infect the other fishes? So, far no signs of any similar symtomps.

There are a few other fishes in QT with it.. they look healty and no signs of any similar symtomps... should i be worried about them too?

Thanks in advance.
once uronema shows like that the fish is basically doomed, so likely just bacterial, param, etc. Once its in a tank, its never not in that tank though, so be wary

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once uronema shows like that the fish is basically doomed, so likely just bacterial, param, etc. Once its in a tank, its never not in that tank though, so be wary
Thanks for all the help, both my chromis died... forgot to take some pics.. sorry.
Have a few questions:
1. Will uronema spread to all other fish (other species) in the tank?
2. Does it survive in tank long like ich?
3. Any suggestions on how to clear it? Is 100% water change is the only way?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help, both my chromis died... forgot to take some pics.. sorry.
Have a few questions:
1. Will uronema spread to all other fish (other species) in the tank?
2. Does it survive in tank long like ich?
3. Any suggestions on how to clear it? Is 100% water change is the only way?

1. It can spread to more susceptible ones (chromis, damsels, butterflies, anthias) but it also may not spread at all
2. It survives in a tank even without a host. It can live indefinitely. You can not fallow it.
3. A water change will not clear it. Those that QT fish completely disassemble their QT tanks and bleach and such.

It does not appear in the photo like typical uronema but if it was... best advice is to just avoid chromis.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It can spread to more susceptible ones (chromis, damsels, butterflies, anthias) but it also may not spread at all
2. It survives in a tank even without a host. It can live indefinitely. You can not fallow it.
3. A water change will not clear it. Those that QT fish completely disassemble their QT tanks and bleach and such.

It does not appear in the photo like typical uronema but if it was... best advice is to just avoid chromis.
Hi @Tamberav , what about hyposalinity, will it help in killing it?

A side question.. will hyposalinity (or fresh water) destroy the good bacterias in my cycled tank too?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Tamberav , what about hyposalinity, will it help in killing it?

A side question.. will hyposalinity (or fresh water) destroy the good bacterias in my cycled tank too?

I don't believe hypo can fully eradicate velvet, brook, or uronema. I believe it's main use is ich.

The bacteria should be okay but you could have issues if there is a lot of die of of inverts... such as worms or starfish. Just something to be aware of.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe hypo can fully eradicate velvet, brook, or uronema. I believe it's main use is ich.

The bacteria should be okay but you could have issues if there is a lot of die of of inverts... such as worms or starfish. Just something to be aware of.
Thanks @Tamberav , this is my QT im checking for so, no inverts.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back