Skin disorder vlamingi tang

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jay, thank you for the advise previously on this specimens bacterial infection.

Bacterial infection is resolved completely. Specimen is eating and gaining mass well.

Copper treatment completed last week.

Removing copper at the moment.

Any ideas what this is? Appears to be a cluster of white raised nodules. Was thinking about doing a skin scrape and looking at it under a microscope. Doesn’t appear to be lymphocystis.

Only thing that has been changed within the last week was reduction of copper with cuprisorb, cleaning of algae from aquarium, filter sock change.

Copper treatment never dropped below 2.4ppm according to hanna checker. Treatment duration was in excess of 45 days.

Was planning on starting praziquantel treatment tomorrow before I noticed this.

Only this fish is with symptoms. All other specimens are in different compartments of the aquarium system. Can likely rule out mechanical abrasion, aside from me cleaning tank yesterday and possibly startling specimen.

1685913690709.jpeg
1685913820893.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Bacterial infection is resolved completely. Specimen is eating and gaining mass well.

Any ideas what this is? Appears to be a cluster of white raised nodules. Was thinking about doing a skin scrape and looking at it under a microscope. Doesn’t appear to be lymphocystis.

Only thing that has been changed within the last week was reduction of copper with cuprisorb, cleaning of algae from aquarium, filter sock change.

Copper treatment never dropped below 2.4ppm according to hanna checker. Treatment duration was in excess of 45 days.

Only this fish is with symptoms. All other specimens are in different compartments of the aquarium system. Can likely rule out mechanical abrasion, aside from me cleaning tank yesterday and possibly startling specimen.

1685913690709.jpeg
1685913820893.jpeg
These may be bacterial tufts but appears more as Mucus cones which affects tangs and large angels more than most other fish and is often due to previous copper treatment, skin irritation and water quality as well as previous ich and develops excess mucus that excretes from the skin cells and in lieu of spreading outwards and along the body. Many resort to Hypo salinity which is not favored but quarantine in copper often will.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1685913690709.jpeg
1685913820893.jpeg
Those may well just be mucus plugs. I wouldn’t scrape them, that will just stress the fish out and you probably won’t see anything under the scope.
Since these are common on tangs that have been in copper, I would just watch these for now.
Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back