Skinny Blenny issue

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Just lost my Midas blenny that I've had for over a year and a half. He ate like a champ for the first year and a half and was nice and fat. Then all of a sudden he started looking skinny and wasn't eating food like he used to. He just slowly wasted away over the last month. Last week was the last time that I saw him and he was pretty much skin and bones.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Just lost my Midas blenny that I've had for over a year and a half. He ate like a champ for the first year and a half and was nice and fat. Then all of a sudden he started looking skinny and wasn't eating food like he used to. He just slowly wasted away over the last month. Last week was the last time that I saw him and he was pretty much skin and bones.
Sorry to hear. Your fish’s case is a bit different than many I’ve heard, in that yours did well for so long. In many cases, they just start getting skinny from day one. I think there are multiple issues - some people underestimate how much and how often to feed these, but in other cases, there seems to be a parasite issue. And then of course, a number of these fish have no problem at all…yours is sort of different in that you were obviously feeding it properly, and an internal parasite should have shown up sooner….

Jay

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information... Is this siutaiton true with only Midas blenny or with starry blenny also?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great information... Is this siutaiton true with only Midas blenny or with starry blenny also?
A few blennys-
Starry Lawnmower
midas

These are just some

SnownSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple months of seemingly good health, our canary blenny started acting strangely and (edited) was found in the filter sock this AM.

2x daily feeding; AM pellets, PM frozen. He wasn't the most enthusiastic eater but seemed okay until a week ago.

Last edited:

sarinaruu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skinny blennies:

Midas blennies are much more difficult to maintain than their common presence in the pet trade would have you believe. They are very prone to starvation. It is unknown if this is due to not feeding them often enough, not feeding enough, feeding the wrong foods, or if internal parasites compete with the blenny for food energy. This species lacks a swim bladder, so they must expend quite a bit of energy just to maintain their location on the water column. This must be offset by a huge amount of calories. Aquarists often miss the fact that their Midas blennies are becoming gradually thinner – as the fish still feeds ravenously, and the progression of the problem is fairly slow. At some point, the fish begins to utilize their liver for food energy. Once this point is reached, the liver damage is irreversible and death is inevitable. A similar issue is also seen with algae blennies, Salarias fasciatus. In these cases, the problem is often tied in to the fish eating all available algae in an aquarium and subsequently starving.

A means to resolve this problem is unclear, since the actual cause is unknown. The best option may be to feed these fish to satiation four times per day, and offering less brine shrimp, and more high fat mysid shrimp. If the blenny takes food in but spits it back out, try dicing the food into smaller pieces. Clearing these fish of possible internal parasites is not an easy task. Praziquantel is often suggested as a cure, but in reality, this drug is only effective against monogeneans (external flukes) and cestodes (tapeworms). If internal parasites are indeed the issue, they may well not be of these two groups. Still, it may be a good idea to dose the tank with praziquantel at 2 mg/l twice, 10 days apart, just in case that will clear the issue. Medicated foods may also be of benefit, but only if properly dosed as mentioned elsewhere. Soaking the food in medication is a useless endeavor, as the medication dose is completely unknown, and then, the amount of medications that washes off the food makes the issue even worse. Medications must be bound into the food items and dosed at a proper level.
my midas blenny was eating mysis 3x a day, very enthusiastically. then after a week of having him died overnight. i looked at his stomach and it was caved in like that despite him eating so much.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this beautiful Midas blenny from my LFS after someone broke down their tank and surrendered him. So far he's fat and happy swimming with my dispar anthias. He seems to think he's one of them

Im hoping I don't run into this issue with him. I've had it happen to one of my lawnmower blennies in the past. Had them for a year or so and then they randomly stop eating and wither away.

I do recall getting one lawnmower blenny that I could never really get to eat anything. Eventually I did get him eating, but I don't think he lasted longer than 6 months.
PXL_20230901_215409739.jpg

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this beautiful Midas blenny from my LFS after someone broke down their tank and surrendered him. So far he's fat and happy swimming with my dispar anthias. He seems to think he's one of them

Im hoping I don't run into this issue with him. I've had it happen to one of my lawnmower blennies in the past. Had them for a year or so and then they randomly stop eating and wither away.

I do recall getting one lawnmower blenny that I could never really get to eat anything. Eventually I did get him eating, but I don't think he lasted longer than 6 months.
PXL_20230901_215409739.jpg

That one looks REALLY good!

Jay

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one looks REALLY good!

Jay

I wish I could take credit for him looking so good! He was QTed by my LFS before I got him, so I'm hoping there's no parasites, ect. I'll do my best to keep him healthy. I feed a 50/50 mix of salmon and spirulina mysis. Twice a day, along with some TDO pellets. He also occasionally snacks on nori. I'll probably ramp up the feeding to three times daily in a few months when the tank is a little more established.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back