Skinny Yellow Tang

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Tang is looking kind of skinny ,kind of like a starving dogs rib cage thing...I feed him (LRS) reef frenzy and (Hikari) Spirulina Brine Shrimp,and (Rods Food) seaweed blend...
He does not seem to eat... There is not much allergy in the tank.. Kudo's to clean up crew... (SUGGESTIONS PLEASE).

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Tang is looking kind of skinny ,kind of like a starving dogs rib cage thing...I feed him (LRS) reef frenzy and (Hikari) Spirulina Brine Shrimp,and (Rods Food) seaweed blend...
He does not seem to eat... There is not much allergy in the tank.. Kudo's to clean up crew... (SUGGESTIONS PLEASE).
How long have you had it, was it eating OK recently? Tangs get thin quite quickly when not feeding.

OP
OP
datahog

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had him for about 4 weeks...like other fish chases after food but seems to spit it back out... also keeps going into caves and seems to have the shrimp pick at him...This might be normal not sure...

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had him for about 4 weeks...like other fish chases after food but seems to spit it back out... also keeps going into caves and seems to have the shrimp pick at him...This might be normal not sure...
My guess is it wasn't eating in the shop when you bought it, or did you see it eat in the shop?

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try seaweed on a clip? my purple that I watched him eat at the fish store would only eat brine which is not very nutritious. He went after seaweed on a clip and started to fatten up and now eats everything.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure it was impulse buy...recommended for clean up fish...
OK, well I that case given what you have told me the fish may well have been in poor health when you bought it.
First rule of thumb. Watch a prospective purchase closely for 15 mins or so in the dealers tank. Nor body no sunken or pinched belly, no pinched head no torn fins, no body marks or red blotches. Eyes clear and fish pecking at the rocks if it's a tang or other algae eater. The fish should swim naturally and be alert.
Second rule of thumb, get the store owner to feed it. If it's not eating well leave it be.
Last but not least, impulse buys often end in a bad way, sounds like yours is no exception by the sounds of it am sorry to say. Unfortunately I doubt there is little you can do to get it to feed once the belly becomes pinched. Sorry to have to say that.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the few situations that I would consider metronidazole or its derivatives as a cure. Not eating - getting thin - spitting out - get shy. If it also getting darker in colouration and get a tiny, white poop - i would say - it have most of the indications for a Spironucleus infection. If it is in reef - you need to medicate in a own tank or bucket - if it fish only - can work in the tank. In Europe - Waterlife Octozin is an option - in the US - let other chime in with which remedy you can use.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
datahog

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya- I guess i will just have to keep feeding and hoping he will get better...Thanks for info will def,do that when buying for now on..

OP
OP
datahog

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and seaweed was all eaten off clip..Hope it was the tang,as he seems to be moving around a lot more now...ps.. noticed the snails are eating it to, but not to much...

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and seaweed was all eaten off clip..Hope it was the tang,as he seems to be moving around a lot more now...ps.. noticed the snails are eating it to, but not to much...
Ya be careful a snail will attach itself and eat the whole thing. I have a few sneaks that do that. My tank was shy at first with the seaweed but now goes nuts.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tang ate it you may see his belly looks like it. Place more in the tank and sit back and watch to see if he eats it. I have a finicky eating yellow. He’s a fantastic grazer, but will only eat LRS. I’ve tried live black worms and all sorts of other food.

OP
OP
datahog

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look good ,tried all that was recommended,Except the medication recommendation..
I think he might be beyond being saved...He just hovers above rock and sometimes go's on side..
LFS said he most likely has internal parasite in him..Was recommended to try live black worms...but LFS does not have them... Plus i think if he is not eating he would not eat them....

20200331_131955.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say as predicted that looks beyond saving and is living on borrowed time.

jim9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in your tank and do you know what happened to it's anal fin?

OP
OP
datahog

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 pj cardinals,2 clowns,1 yellow wrasse,1 skunk shrimp,1 peppermint shrimp,12 hermit crabs,8 snails...all are doing great..paramerters are great..even have coraline allergy growing...corals doing awesome too..even frags

OP
OP
datahog

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 pj cardinals,2 clowns,1 yellow wrasse,1 skunk shrimp,1 peppermint shrimp,12 hermit crabs,8 snails...all are doing great..paramerters are great..even have coraline allergy growing...corals doing awesome too..even frags
not sure about anal fin..i know he liked going into cave and having shrimp pick at him..

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this? The fish is acting like it’s stressed out. Could be the reason for not eating .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back