Skunk cleaner shrimp molting every 3-4 weeks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Idech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
4,808
Reaction score
4,027
Location
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems excessive to me. Is this normal or is it out of stress and I should be worried ?

This shrimp has gotten very big since I got it 3 months ago. I likes to eat a lot so I target feed it. Is this why it’s molting so often ?

Thanks
 
Definitely normal, and since their eggs are fertilized when they molt, this is also their normal reproductive cycle/egg incubation time.
 
Yes, but they are simultaneous hermaphrodites, so with a pair of shrimp, neither can self fertilize, but both can carry fertilized eggs and fertilize the others eggs. Makes for a lot of larvae and there's always a molt the morning after the larvae are released.
 
Yes, but they are simultaneous hermaphrodites, so with a pair of shrimp, neither can self fertilize, but both can carry fertilized eggs and fertilize the others eggs. Makes for a lot of larvae and there's always a molt the morning after the larvae are released.
I wonder if I should get another one then, to give my fish a larvae snack ? Is this a bad idea in a 75 gallons ?
 
I've got two in my ~45g and they get along fine with each other/other things. Only concern for some people is they will take food from corals, so feeding them directly and feeding a good amount helps minimize what's taken from LPS and whatnot.

Worth mentioning that spawns will be shortly after lights out, so fish that go to sleep early (wrasses, firefish, etc.) won't get the snack, but I believe a lot of corals and anemones will catch the larvae just fine.
 
My coral banded every 3 weeks
Cleaner 5 weeks
fire shrimp 5 weeks
 
I've got two in my ~45g and they get along fine with each other/other things. Only concern for some people is they will take food from corals, so feeding them directly and feeding a good amount helps minimize what's taken from LPS and whatnot.
Yes, mine likes to steal from corals even though I target feed her. I’ll consider getting another one then !

When my tank is more mature, so it doesn’t raise nitrates too much.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new