Skunk cleaner shrimp Murdered ?

mochajungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my first reef tank running for like 3 months now, corals are growing thugs are doing well, however I keep seeing long strings of sand on the bottom, and this morning it found my skunk cleaner with the middle of his carcass open and eaten and slightly deteriorating
I don’t know what it is but I have a pretty giant red worm in my tank that I just cat get rid of
He only comes out at night and I can’t say watch all nigh as I’ll fall asleep

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was killed? I know sometimes when I see my shrimps skin when molting, it scares the crap out of me and the wife!

the worm you are talking about is most likely a bristle worm or fireworm. Generally considered a good CUC, too many of them can be bad.

take some pictures if you can

OP
OP
mochajungle

mochajungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was killed? I know sometimes when I see my shrimps skin when molting, it scares the crap out of me and the wife!

the worm you are talking about is most likely a bristle worm or fireworm. Generally considered a good CUC, too many of them can be bad.

take some pictures if you can
I got rid I of the dead body
But he has molted twice and the moly is pretty translucent, this was definitely his body
I have a 5 gallon Nano and if it was a molt I would have seen the actual shrimp

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid I of the dead body
But he has molted twice and the moly is pretty translucent, this was definitely his body
I have a 5 gallon Nano and if it was a molt I would have seen the actual shrimp
I see.. the long strings of sand. Are they like tubes? I have a few, can easily be blown away. I believe they are a beneficial tank critter unless there are too many.

OP
OP
mochajungle

mochajungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.. the long strings of sand. Are they like tubes? I have a few, can easily be blown away. I believe they are a beneficial tank critter unless there are too many.
Yes exactly long tubes

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they spionid worms? If so, good cleanup crew.

If you have a large red worm coming out, I would try to catch and identify it. There are several DIY bristlesorm traps you can find on the site to try.

OP
OP
mochajungle

mochajungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find it at al
I have like 3 rocks in my tank and they are pretty small but I’ve only seen home like twice since I set it up
I can’t dip the rocks cause all my corals are on it and I don’t want to disturb anything
I think I’ll wait up one night until he comes out to feed and nab him

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are some DIY’s that take a small plastic bottle that you punch some holes into and insert straws. Put food in the bottle and the worms will crawl in and not be able to escape. Here is a pic of mine. You can leave it overnight and check in the morning.

image.jpg

OP
OP
mochajungle

mochajungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna stop at my lfs today see I’d they have anything and imma hunt him tonight

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oenone Fulgida worm... sure hope not.

OP
OP
mochajungle

mochajungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back of the shrimp was open right behind it’s head and was really mushy inside (like it was decaying)
It was doing great that evening when I check eating fine and guarding it’s territory
The next morning it was belly up at the bottom of the tank and looked like it had just begun a molt or something

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fooled more than once by a shrimp or crab molt. They will usually hide for a day or two after molting while their new shell hardens. Hopefully that's all that has happened and he shows back up. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
mochajungle

mochajungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fooled more than once by a shrimp or crab molt. They will usually hide for a day or two after molting while their new shell hardens. Hopefully that's all that has happened and he shows back up. Keep us posted.
There isn’t really anywhere he can hide my tank is really tiny it’s 5 gallons so I can see everything from the front

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back