Slate in a reef tank?

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a bare bottom tank and I am looking for something flat with some weight to keep frags from sliding around. I have a couple of large hermits that run around like bulldozers. Thinking about gluing them to slate pieces. Anyone know of any reasons to not use slate or have a better solution.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a bare bottom tank and I am looking for something flat with some weight to keep frags from sliding around. I have a couple of large hermits that run around like bulldozers. Thinking about gluing them to slate pieces. Anyone know of any reasons to not use slate or have a better solution.
Slate tends to break down after a while. What about getting some black eggcrate from brs and glue some upside down frag plugs to the bottom (like legs) to keep it low yet high enough off the glass for flow and the plug stems of your frags?

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use local hardware store tiles. They can come large, so this is probably what you're targeting for. You want ones without the glaze/finish to them. I've seen some people give it an acid bath also. You'd want to cure it in some water before putting it in the tank.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a clay tile just like the clay bowls for flowers. People use those for clown fish breeding all the time.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back