Slime

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am new to this as far as being in a forum. But I have a problem I don't know how to fix and it's been going on for over 6 weeks.

I have slime. It glogs my filters everyday and it is so bad I have to wash them everyday in the washer . I only have 2 fish that are chilling but some of my others have just disappeared. I don't know if it's related because my corals are thriving! Growing like mad. The ones I have bought from other people here in my small cormer of ND continue to grow and throw off babies, but this slime persists. It's clear to white and has the texture of male essence. I can't think of another way to describe it. Can ANYONE HELP ME!!!????

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing any form of a carbon source?
Also do you have a picture of this?

OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a 20 gallon refugium and a 75 gallon tank. I have carbon in the refugium under the filter sock on the intake side. I also have a phosorb there too
I'll try to get a picture

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have to learn to clarify this LOL
Organic carbon dosing.. NoPox, vodka, vinegar, sugars?

OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is not cloudy. It's that stuff

image.jpeg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bacterial outbreak
Now I am thinking of a good procedure to approach this.
Either something is added to fuel the bacterial growth or there is a lot dying in the tank.
You said fish have disappeared well unfortunately if they are not removed adds a lot of organics that will fuel bacteria.

OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are 4. I have rearranged the live rock and found no carcasses. I looked up some articles here and they said hydrogen peroxide. Didn't work but killed all my good algae on my rocks and took a chunk out of my green algae. I discontinued.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide may not work againt that as you have seen. Without seeing the cell walls under the microscope it will be hard to determine a solution.

OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the help. I read through the literature and the feeds. I still can't see what to do to fix this. It's not red. It's not bubbles. I have no added anything except the reef the reef 1-3. No added organic so. I'm still lost
Todd? Anyone?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my opinion it needs to be looked at. You always have the option to send me a sample of this to view under the microscope so a confirmation can be made that it is a bacteria or not.
By looking at the cell walls I should be able to come up with a plan of eradication.
Just an option :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
Thanx for the help. I read through the literature and the feeds. I still can't see what to do to fix this. It's not red. It's not bubbles. I have no added anything except the reef the reef 1-3. No added organic so. I'm still lost
Todd? Anyone?
hi can you post a full tank shot?
What is the reef 1-3. ?

OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd? Anyone?
Hey! Look what I found after being researching all day

://pets.thenest.com/white-slime-saltwater-aquarium-13087.html

I can't believe you would test my water! That is so nice of you! I would still like to do that if it is a service you offer! You have been so helpful and the path you laid out for me was the jump off for soooo much knowledge! I feel like my head is spinning.

I even suggested to my husband that the air freshener was a factor and he shot me down. But when I get my water together for water change I set the buckets by the fridge to mix and aerate. Enter auto sprayer. How could I have been so stupid? Every 18 minutes. Hopefully I can save my last fish. My wrasse, who hasn't got a name yet. If he makes it he will be called Ted, and he will be the bestest wrasse around! I'm talking Chuck Norris bad butt!

Maybe you could share this with your friends here. I wonder how many others haven't thought about it. As simple as it is. I know I'm not the only dim witted one to forget something so basic

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back