Small critters on glass

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just saw these little guys on my glass today anybody have an ID?
If it helps, I’ve seen my clowns and six line wrasse picking at the glass which I now presume is them having some lunch

IMG_0410.jpeg IMG_0413.png

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I remembered I added some chaeto from my lfs in. I’m assuming this is where they came from

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remove pods! :) Your reef and many of your fish will benefit from these wee critters.

Also, not too sure how you would actually go about removing them even if you wanted to :)

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just saw these little guys on my glass today anybody have an ID?
If it helps, I’ve seen my clowns and six line wrasse picking at the glass which I now presume is them having some lunch

IMG_0410.jpeg IMG_0413.png
pods!!! Great thing to have!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they just come from anything really, and they are really good! people dose them in there tanks
Yup great to have them. I have dosed them into my tank and fed them phytoplankton. never a bad idea to add pods

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen different types, what benefits do different ones bring?
Below is stolen from this article from BRS on the topic :)
  • Tigriopus californicus: Loaded with amino and omega-3 fatty acids, Tigriopus copepods make a nutritious meal for even the pickiest of fishes. These pods occasionally inhabit the water column and make quick bursts of movement as they "Swim" which makes them an easy target for your critters. Females can lay hundreds of eggs during their lifecycle. These harpacticoids contribute to your clean-up crew by consuming detritus and nuisance alga.
  • Tisbe biminiensis: Small and hardy, these harpacticoid copepods tend to inhabit the cracks and crevasses of live rock and macroalgae. Their secretive nature helps them to maintain lasting populations in marine aquaria. Like the above, Tisbe copepods add to your clean-up crew by consuming detritus, phytoplankton, and invasive algae in your aquarium; think of these guys as the smallest big mouths in your food chain.
  • Apocyclops panamensis: Being slightly larger than Tisbe and slightly smaller than Tigriopus, these resilient copepods round out your tank's zooplankton size range. Apocyclops is extremely nutritious with a very high amino acid and protein content. It reproduces quickly by laying eggs every 4-6 days--about twice the rate of Tisbe and Tigriopus! This cyclopoid spends much time in the water column, providing a continuous source of nutrition for seahorses, swallowtail angelfish, etc.
  • Oithona colcarva: This highly adaptable pod is a cyclopoid like Apocyclops but spends even more time in the water column. Oithona also feeds on smaller particles, consuming suspended items as minute as bacteria. Its nocturnal nature helps to prevent it from being completely decimated by hungry zooplanktivores.
  • Euterpina acutifrons: Hailing from the order Harpacticoida, the coastal dwelling Euterpina acutifrons is a non-selective herbivore loaded with a variety of proteins and amino acids that are perfect for bolstering the health and longevity of fish and corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back