Small fissure in seal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scarbay13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

scarbay13

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2025
Messages
34
Reaction score
31
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I was finally able to fill my brand new Waterbox this evening and unfortunately I noticed a small tear in the front panel silicone. I am wondering what you all think, if this would be concerning long term?
20260113_223307_0EFF6FB7-9376-4EDA-8EA4-531E46894C75.png
 
This appears to be in the cosmetic portion of the silicone; the bead that’s “squished” out inside the tank during assembly, and wiped/tooled to a smooth “fillet”! — someone messed up during the fillet wipe, it seems!

Thankfully, it shouldn’t affect structural glass:glass silicone seam integrity, and is a primarily cosmetic flaw (which only you will ever probably see)!

(It is disappointing to see that this sort of thing still makes it through Quality Control on such high end tanks in this day and age, though!)
 
This appears to be in the cosmetic portion of the silicone; the bead that’s “squished” out inside the tank during assembly, and wiped/tooled to a smooth “fillet”! — someone messed up during the fillet wipe, it seems!

Thankfully, it shouldn’t affect structural glass:glass silicone seam integrity, and is a primarily cosmetic flaw (which only you will ever probably see)!

(It is disappointing to see that this sort of thing still makes it through Quality Control on such high end tanks in this day and age, though!)
Thank you for your reply! I am glad to know this should not be a concern going forward as far as failure. And yes I agree for a $750 tank it’s a bit disappointing but it is fairly small and in the corner so I’m not overly bothered by it.
 
This appears to be in the cosmetic portion of the silicone; the bead that’s “squished” out inside the tank during assembly, and wiped/tooled to a smooth “fillet”! — someone messed up during the fillet wipe, it seems!

Thankfully, it shouldn’t affect structural glass:glass silicone seam integrity, and is a primarily cosmetic flaw (which only you will ever probably see)!

(It is disappointing to see that this sort of thing still makes it through Quality Control on such high end tanks in this day and age, though!)
Sorry to bug you again! I found another small hole on the bottom side silicone this time, does this look cosmetic as well?
20260114_110319_A3B39466-DDAA-416B-A31F-C020C37E7AB4.png
 
Sorry to bug you again! I found another small hole on the bottom side silicone this time, does this look cosmetic as well?
20260114_110319_A3B39466-DDAA-416B-A31F-C020C37E7AB4.png
It’s hard to say from this photo; could you get one from 45, and from 90 degrees to the left, viewing through the glass at it?
 
It’s hard to get a good photo of it but here’s a short video hopefully this works
I see what you mean!

That spot is tiny, but is indeed inside the structural component of the seam!

I’d monitor it, and contact Waterbox about it if it starts growing at all!

This tank is on the factory stand, and leveled, correct?
 
It’s hard to get a good photo of it but here’s a short video hopefully this works

Oh no! I’ll definitely keep a close eye on it.

I had a custom extruded aluminum stand made by Alufab so it’s on that plus the foam leveling mat that came with the tank. It’s not perfectly level, there’s about a 2-3 mm difference side to side but going to be correcting that tonight.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new