Small Mixing Station: Need R2R Expert Advice!

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

For years I have trudged over to my LFS once a month or more to refill my collection of 5 gallon jugs. But this will be coming to an end fairly soon -- later this week I will be receiving a 4 stage BRS Value Plus RODI unit. I plan on placing the unit under my utility sink in my mud room, and for the short term at least, producing water in 5 gallon increments, on demand to manually top off the fresh water when needed. For salt water, at least for the time being, I'll likely mix in these same 5 gallon jugs using a small power head.

But in the next month or so, I really want to construct a small but permanent mixing station.

Here's my use case: I need about 10 gallons of salt each week, and 10 gallons of fresh water. I will carry the water across the house, and I'm guessing it would be easiest to do that using the existing 5 gallon jugs.

I don't have a ton of space, but I do have three options in and around the mud room: 1) underneath the counter next to the utility sink, 2) in an adjacent closet where we currently have cat litter boxes, or 3) on the other side of the wall in the garage. Each has pros and cons which I'll list out in a moment, but first, here is a rough drawing of the space with measurements .....

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 9.40.09 PM.png

Also, below is a picture of the space itself. You can see my water jugs competing with the cat food area at present (#1 in the diagram above). The door in the picture is to the closet and leads to #2 in the diagram above.

mud room.jpg

Here are the pros and cons to the three potential locations.....

1. Underneath the counter -- I can push the cat food out of here (for the most part) and take advantage of the fact that this is right next to the utility sink. The con though is that I don't have much vertical room to work with -- 40". That's still enough for side by side containers, or maybe even one on top of the other if I can find the right (small) size.

2. Closet -- this gives me more vertical room to work with, and would allow me to stack one container on top of another for a gravity feed. But... and this is a big but... I'd need to reconfigure the three cat litter boxes which sit directly in that space. My wife is not at all thrilled by this idea. I've tried to convince her that it would just mean moving the litter boxes back a bit in the closet, likely having them in front of the door. This approach might use up some of my "political capital" with her but I could perhaps go this route if it absolutely makes the most sense.

3. Garage -- I have some limited space on the other side of the wall in the garage. As my diagram shows, I have 28" of room to play with at present, but I could potentially push this to 32" or so if needed. I have unlimited vertical space here (tall garage), but to be honest, I'm a little reluctant to drill through the wall into the garage. Maybe this is a silly concern though.

So those are my three options guys. If you were in my shoes, which of the three would you choose? Thanks very much in advance for any guidance!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Simple and cost effective would be a couple of brute cans plumbed together or poly containers plumbed

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in my garage. Temp is only concern but I’m in the Deep South so not that bad. I use a sicce pump and run the hose to my tank. Pump 20 gallons. Roll up the hose and put it in storage.
‘I vote #3.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the garage doesn't get too cold then that would be my choice. I like a vertical mixing station just for its simplicity. My mixing station is literally just 2 brute cans, a diy stand, a small amount of pvc and fittings, and a powerhead. It's not the prettiest thing but it works. I pump my water through my ceiling to the tank with a dosing pump (AWC).

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is also in my garage. I use a pump and pump it up to the tank. It does get cold in my garage so I have to heat everything up sometimes. My wife wouldn’t have liked any spot I chose for the mixing station so I just picked the most convenient space wise.

OP
OP
Cavalina

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. More and more I'm thinking garage is the way to go. I think the Brute cans are too big for what I need, and am thinking I will opt for a pair of vertically aligned 20 gallon tanks like this...

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.25.30 AM.png

What rating do I look for though to ensure that no chemicals leech into the water? I think there is an acronym -- is it NTO?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mixing station build with a complete list of plumbing parts may give you a good head start. You can just substitute the storage tanks of your choice:

Be sure you elevate your tanks enough to fit a bucket below spigot valves at the bottom. A lot of people overlook how useful this can be and place the tanks directly on the floor.

2A3BE335-BFBF-4F61-89DA-4B9DC693923C.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cavalina -- Just for perspective, and a different take. I have a 120G and change 15G each week, and only use one 32G Brute for storing / mixing saltwater. For RODI I fill directly into 5G jugs just like yours.

I have a RODI system that feeds to a XP Aqua RODI / Flood Guardian. I then connect the output to my Brute (when I want to make saltwater) or to a 5G jug (when I make RODI). I suppose you could use diverter values and such, but I just move the tube. The nice thing is that the sensor let's me control the water volume so I only make what I need rather than being locked in to float valves.

OP
OP
Cavalina

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, is there any code or spec that I need to look for in a container? It seems that many folks here seem to gravitate to Brute cans because of their anti-leeching characteristics. But as I mentioned, I am leaning towards something a little smaller, likely a pair of these. The site says that they are: "made with FDA approved resin that complies with FDA standards 21 CFR 177.1520 (1) 3.1 and 3.2 for use in food grade storage." Is that sufficient? @vetteguy53081 mentioned earlier that I should be looking for "poly containers"? Do these qualify as safe poly containers that would be good candidates for RO/DI and saltwater mixing?

Sorry for all of the questions -- I just want to make sure I get the right containers. Sending these back would be a pain in the neck! :oops:

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always understood food safe = fish safe as well so those containers will work.

garage seems like best option IMO also.

you can also get rid of the cats and that will solve some space issues! j/k

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too late for you but another suggestion for small mixing stations is to use RV water tanks. They come in all sorts of dimensions to fit small spaces (and are food safe). I had a narrow space between my utility sink and washing machine and found a 20 gallon that fit almost exactly.

DarfrogDojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, just to close out on this..... I selected option 3 above, my garage. And the project turned out pretty darned well if I do say so myself. Here's a picture of my new salt water mixing station :)
The project came out realy good. Nice and clean. One question - What are you using the yellow pump for?....to mix the salt water?

OP
OP
Cavalina

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @DarfrogDojo , yes, exactly. The pump mixes the salt in the lower container. In the few weeks that this has been operational, my routine has been to mix 10 gallons of salt water at a time (I do 10 g water changes each Saturday). So a day before (Friday), I put in the salt, turn on the pump, and mix it for 2 hours. Then I fill two five gallon jugs with the newly mixed salt water and take it inside where I bring it to room temperature over night. Then, the next morning I do the 10 gallon water change. So far so good.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cavalina your station came out really nice.

Is that a Pan World pump? That’s a lot of pump just for mixing. Depending upon the pump and your layour. You might consider tossing in a heater to your saltwater tank and then pumping it straight to your DT.

I‘m usimg a PanWorld 200PS on my mixing station which then switches to move new saltwater around 20’ vertical and 50’ horizontal through a combination of 3/4 PVC and 1/2 tubing to my tank. A 15G refill takes about 5 min.

OP
OP
Cavalina

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @mike550 . Yes, exactly, Pan World 40PX. The water flow when mixing doesn't seem too high -- maybe a little bit though. Super quiet pump as well.

I've thought about adding a heater, as you indicate, might do that eventually. For now though, no real need.

Sounds like you have an amazing set up!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @mike550 . Yes, exactly, Pan World 40PX. The water flow when mixing doesn't seem too high -- maybe a little bit though. Super quiet pump as well.

I've thought about adding a heater, as you indicate, might do that eventually. For now though, no real need.

Sounds like you have an amazing set up!
Got it. That’s a nice pump for your setup. After about a year I got tired of carrying 5G jugs up stairs every week so I spent some covid time plumbing this up. So far so good!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back