Small non-mobile snails

Quixote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying some hitchhikers!

There are at least 4 of these snail looking things on one rock. They are attached to the rock and release some sort of thread out into the water, and then pull it back in. The shells are white and pink, the animal is red and white.

20201112_071024.jpg 20201112_070955.jpg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid SNAIL SP, some SPs of them grow really big. Isn't good to have, some can damage/hurt/disturb your corals (if you have)

OP
OP
Quixote

Quixote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid SNAIL SP, some SPs of them grow really big. Isn't good to have, some can damage/hurt/disturb your corals (if you have)
I have a couple of vermetid snails as well and I don't think these are the same. The vermetid are on the hitchhiker identification guide, unless they look different when they grow very big.

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are different species. Some are white and some are brown. Believe it or not there is close to a hundred or so different types of vermetids and some are white.

OP
OP
Quixote

Quixote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of vermetid snails as well and I don't think these are the same. The vermetid are on the hitchhiker identification guide, unless they look different when they grow very big.
there are different species. Some are white and some are brown. Believe it or not there is close to a hundred or so different types of vermetids and some are white.
Ok thanks. They don't look like the pics I've seen, but they definitely act like the descriptions.

I appreciate your help.

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you scrape or cut them off with pliers or coral cutters make sure you get all of it because they can retract all the way to the base and just grow back. It's funny when you find small ones attached to snail shells. Snails on snails.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In other words. . . . .
two best methods for removal are:

A- cover their hole with superglue gel
OR B- be sure to remove the entire tube at the best, not in the middle and discard

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back