Small reef..

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity is it possible to have a successful reef in a little tank? By little I am talking like 10 gallon? Reason I ask is because I got to pull two damsels out of my big tank that my wife bought and I figured since I have a 10 gallon just sitting around i will put them in that. Also figured that if I'm gonna have a mini tank for her fish then I might try to do a mini reef.. lol. Thought? I know you can buy a biocube and such but that's like 20-30 gallon and I'm not looki g to buy another tank when u got one sitting here already

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hand,ini75.jpg

1/2 gallon. Sealed but removable lid. Zero evaporation, the first non top off reef.

If anyone can locate proof of a nonevaporating reef tank (requires no topoff at all) before this one ill pp you a hundred bucks. qualifications: a real reef tank not some container set up for fun. show me coralline on the walls, or some coral that has adhered to the walls. threads show that one above has table top acro up in the top, tabling at 1/2 inch lol. not taking Victorian nano reef examples drawn in felt pens in old books. a real sps reef using aftermarket lighting, and life support systems in the tank plain as day. a hundred bucks needs a few qualifiers~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone point me in the direction of a build thread for a mini? Just wondering what I need to get it going. I've got heaters and powerheads. Surely I won't need skimmer/sump like I have on my 54 gal... Just good parameters and water changes? Also is it possible to run just a normal aquarium filter.. like one for say a 40 gal tank?

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone point me in the direction of a build thread for a mini? Just wondering what I need to get it going. I've got heaters and powerheads. Surely I won't need skimmer/sump like I have on my 54 gal... Just good parameters and water changes? Also is it possible to run just a normal aquarium filter.. like one for say a 40 gal tank?

All I use on mine is a hob filter heater and lights. I’m getting a new nano just because it sucks not having a sump to hid stuff in

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I use on mine is a hob filter heater and lights. I’m getting a new nano just because it sucks not having a sump to hid stuff in
That's what I was thinking also. I'm gonna pull a bit of live rock from my main and I'm actually gonna fill it with water from my main also. I was just curious about filtration for the most part. Do you have a thread with a few pic of that tank Brett? I would live to put my eye on a few

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking also. I'm gonna pull a bit of live rock from my main and I'm actually gonna fill it with water from my main also. I was just curious about filtration for the most part. Do you have a thread with a few pic of that tank Brett? I would live to put my eye on a few

Working on a thread now. It looks good just not its best as it has like 6w led that isn’t meant for coral. Getting an ai prime hd soon so that will be a huge change

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 10g only a couple months old.
IMG_4596.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG
IMG_4545.JPG
IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4343.JPG
You must have been posting this while I was along for photos, lol. Thanks a ton man.. that tank is looking very nice. Hopefully I will get one started up here in the next couple days... more than likely it will be a month or so. Given the fact that I just brought this little guy home. He is eating up all my available time right now.

20170622_205813.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a thread now. It looks good just not its best as it has like 6w led that isn’t meant for coral. Getting an ai prime hd soon so that will be a huge change
Oh yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to get a good light for it. With it being that small wouldn't a kessil work well?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^ Mike from Mass there, MASS Aquariums. He was my main reference when I was getting into this hobby. He's had that 10g running for 2+ years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back