Small reef..

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kessil a80 won’t be good enough for sps

I disagree. A 1 watt white led placed close enough to your eye is more like 250 watts intensity from far.

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A80 is 15w.
It will be ok if your tan is shallow, else its not very good for sps. Also its fundamentally meant for nano/pico tanks, sps are less popular in those.
Best way to figure this out is by measuring the actual PARs though, at various depth. I have handful or montipora and a stylophora growing successfully under a80 in one of my pico

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon.
Corals and Macro growing like crazy.
Personally, I believe an ATO is a must on picos but they're definitely doable.

20170626_215847.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon.
Corals and Macro growing like crazy.
Personally, I believe an ATO is a must on picos but they're definitely doable.

20170626_215847.jpg
Really, I hate to hear that also..i didn't think it would be as important on a mini tank like that. Without as much equipment in it to hear the water it still evaporates that much?

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, I hate to hear that also..i didn't think it would be as important on a mini tank like that. Without as much equipment in it to hear the water it still evaporates that much?
Well mine is an open top so that doesn't help much lol
I'm also a control freak. I like the peace of mind it gives me. I was topping off 2-3 times a day before I got my ATO. In my opinion, it's worth the investment. You can make one for under $20 but I sprang for a name brand one. No complaints though. :)

Vinh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I use an ATO as well. Ran without one for about a year then added the Smart ATO micro. Nice and small which is good when you're limited in space.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use one yet. But after topping of daily for 3 months straight is a pain in the ***. I can’t wait to get my ato

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely. I was shocked at the amount of water evaporated. My biocube 29 barely loses any with the lid, so I was used to that. My little NUVO 10 loses A LOT.

ratman150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 10 gallon and it wasn't very hard. everything has been thriving and healthy. I only had one fish though.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i am prepping the 10 gallon tank to make the wife a micro reef. I have live rock and my house already that has been cured that didn't get used in my 54 gal tank. I ordered 10 lbs of Fiji pink live sand and a 50 watt Finnex titanium heater from BRS earlier today. I'm gonna run a HOB filter on this tank so just out of curiosity what size are you guys running in yours? I've got one at the house that is rated 75 gallon tank.. seem like overkill to me though, lol. Thoughts?

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run it! As long as it doesn't stir the sand it can't hurt. Maybe run it end to end instead of front to back. I used a marineland biowheel on a 10g that was rated up there and didn't have an issue

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run it! As long as it doesn't stir the sand it can't hurt. Maybe run it end to end instead of front to back. I used a marineland biowheel on a 10g that was rated up there and didn't have an issue
That's what I was planning on. Running the pump left to right. Maybe put the powerhead pushing water from right to left. Or would it be better to have the powerhead pushing back to front in a cross current

Vinh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Aquaclear 30 wide open with two powerheads. Maybe you only need one powerhead with a filter rated for 75g. Does the filter allow for adjustments like Aquaclear?

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one for a 10g tank on my 10g. I’m ditching this tank for a used biocube 14g and a sump because it sucks not having a sump
I have really though about doing a biocube also but I haven't found one cheap enough yet. No cheap enough to justify not using something I already have

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was planning on. Running the pump left to right. Maybe put the powerhead pushing water from right to left. Or would it be better to have the powerhead pushing back to front in a cross current

How you set your powerhead is determined on your aquascape and coral placement really. You could put it in either place.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back