Small tank crash?!?!

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, I have some sort of emergency going on. Ive been fighting it for about a month and its been tough. My tank is about 7 months old, 40b eith 20 long sump. Filter pads, Reef Octopus 110int skimmer and in the beginning about a 4 gallon fuge that somewhat stalled. About a month ago I starting noticing some brown/redish slime starting to accumulate on the sand. Corals and fish were all happy and just like normal. The slime was managable and I figured it was just part of the uglys and was letting it run its course. 24 hours later 4 out of 5 fish were dead and the 5th followed 3 days later. I suspected Velvet. The brown/redslime started getting worse but corals were still alright. The nem I had at the time also disappeard into the rocks. It was a rbt about the size of a half dollar. A couple weeks later the slime blew up. I began to have undetectable phosphate but nitrate stays consistantly over 50 with redsea. They have been over 50 the entire time ive had the tank. So with undetectable phosphate I took the fuge offline and the chaeto ofcourse died off so it was removed. Slime got worse and worse but corals were alright. Finally enough was enough so I dosed chemiclean. All my euphilla died and the slime lessened but didnt go away. About a week later we were back to ground 0. I just finished another round and see the same issues. I am doing proper water changes and my parameters are alk: 9.3, cal: 415, mag: 1400, nitrates: 50+, phosphate: 0.0, ammonia: 0, temp 78. I push about 400 gallons through the sump and hour and have a Maxspec Gyre 330 and tunze powerhead in the display. My sand bed is only about an inch deep. With 30 lbs of what was dry reef saver rock and a marine pure plate in the sump. I also have carbon running. I know its a lot of info but im just trying to be thorough. This is frustruating but I cant give up.

0506202019.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol didnt mean to put that. Its a picture of a 1900 farm house im looking at restoring. Not mine haha

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no. It retreated into the largest piece of dry rock.

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did and was not able to find it. I think the nem has decomposed and is gone. Ive blown out the rocks multiple times since it has disappeared and unless its in the center of the rock its not in any hole I can find. The nem was alive at the time of the fish deaths.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your clean up crew? When I had an outbreak of reddish slime, I increased and varied the clean up crew. Also, I increased the flow in the refugium to stir detritus and I managed to change my feeding habits. I would take out the items with the slime and rinse aggressively in a clean saltwater bath. I also was more consistent in checking the salinity. These steps helped me.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, I have some sort of emergency going on. Ive been fighting it for about a month and its been tough. My tank is about 7 months old, 40b eith 20 long sump. Filter pads, Reef Octopus 110int skimmer and in the beginning about a 4 gallon fuge that somewhat stalled. About a month ago I starting noticing some brown/redish slime starting to accumulate on the sand. Corals and fish were all happy and just like normal. The slime was managable and I figured it was just part of the uglys and was letting it run its course. 24 hours later 4 out of 5 fish were dead and the 5th followed 3 days later. I suspected Velvet. The brown/redslime started getting worse but corals were still alright. The nem I had at the time also disappeard into the rocks. It was a rbt about the size of a half dollar. A couple weeks later the slime blew up. I began to have undetectable phosphate but nitrate stays consistantly over 50 with redsea. They have been over 50 the entire time ive had the tank. So with undetectable phosphate I took the fuge offline and the chaeto ofcourse died off so it was removed. Slime got worse and worse but corals were alright. Finally enough was enough so I dosed chemiclean. All my euphilla died and the slime lessened but didnt go away. About a week later we were back to ground 0. I just finished another round and see the same issues. I am doing proper water changes and my parameters are alk: 9.3, cal: 415, mag: 1400, nitrates: 50+, phosphate: 0.0, ammonia: 0, temp 78. I push about 400 gallons through the sump and hour and have a Maxspec Gyre 330 and tunze powerhead in the display. My sand bed is only about an inch deep. With 30 lbs of what was dry reef saver rock and a marine pure plate in the sump. I also have carbon running. I know its a lot of info but im just trying to be thorough. This is frustruating but I cant give up.

0506202019.jpg
nitrates seem kinda high and sounds like cyano maybe increase flow get some more cuc and how big of water changes are you doing my old tank would get cyano in low flow spots of the tank but my phosphate was off the charts with no refugium and i dont know if i would count the anemone out i have 3 bta 2 rainbow and 1 green the green one has been acting like its dying for the past 6 months hiding under rocks and walking around the tank while the 2 rainbows are fine and never move and only time i ever beat cyano in my old tank was dosing nopox for about a month seems weird to have such a low phosphate but 50 nitrates

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow I push with the maxspec is insane if i crank it up. It'll do 2400gpm and sand just goes everywhere

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not either. I neglected my sand bed in thr beginning. Over the past 2 months ive been vacuuming it out and tons, I mean tons of detritus came out. I havent been feeding anything besides reef chili once a week to the corals so they keep living. Ive been blowing off the rockwork and sand bed of all the slime twice a day and it stays pretty clean and changing the filter pad daily because with all the slime its packed instantly. This I like to think has been helping doing manual removal and trying to bring nitrates down. I do add phyto daily to try to bring the phosphate up to hit that ideal balance. Im debating bringing the fuge back on and keeping up phyto to bring phosphate up. Here are some pics with whites on. The lights are 2 ai prime 16s.

0515201232.jpg 0515201231.jpg

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost looks like Dino’s and hair algae. Does it get better at night? Doesn’t make a lot of sense for it to be Dino’s with the no3 so high... but sure looks like them.

turn the lights off for three days. Dose vibrant as soon as possible. See if there’s a difference.

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont seem to lessen any with lights off. But they are somewhat dependent on light because my overflow box blocks some light and I have less on the glass below that. Ive done 2 treatments of chemiclean with no help so im leaning towards dinos. They blow off the sand and rocks extremely easy. I did the hydrogen peroxide test for dinos with no bubbles. I may try a black out this weekend.

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a new treatment trending with raised temperature. Lots of people are reporting success with raising their temp to 82 for a few days. I recently beat Dino’s by adding a good UV, lowers lights and dosing Vibrant.

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to kill me. Started black out tonight. 72 hours with no light. What if an extremely small amount of light gets in? I have a very small area, I'm talking 1/4 of an inch by 3 inches max. Or at the seam of one of the poster board. How will my corals do? I have a favia, 2 aussie lords, 2 chaliaces, 2 montis, 4 types of zoas and maybe still a frogspawn head alive. Very maybe.

0515202311.jpg 0515202310.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back