Small tank tangs: Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

• Yes, I currently keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 242 50.5%
  • Yes, I have kept a Bristletooth tang in the past.

Votes: 66 13.8%
  • No, but I plan to keep a Bristletooth tang in the future.

Votes: 101 21.1%
  • No, I have no plans to keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 63 13.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept a yellow eye kole for years (RIP thanks to an ****** PBT) and a Tomini (currently 1 year in a 125) The Tomini came in super-duper small and has grown much slower than any other tang I’ve kept. Bristletooth tangs are among my favorite genus by a mile. Super docile, great grazer and fun to watch bob-around.

Any tang can be kept in a small tank for a short period of time (e.g. quarantine) but if your plan is to keep them for 5-10+ years, you will run into an issue eventually in anything less than a 6ft tank IME and multiple adult tangs will eventually get restless and stressed in even that. In a 75 for example, I’d have no problem keeping a yellow and a Tomini long term, especially if it’s a CB yellow. Acantharus, Naso, Regal, larger Zeb’s like sailfin no way.

I currently have a 5+ year old Regal in a 125 I raised from a baby. He’s a total fatty but is reaching that point where he’s outgrown the space and is becoming restless. I have plans to rehome him soon to something much larger where I have no doubt he’ll happily thrive for many more years.

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an algae issue, so I got a Tomani tang. Initially I figured I would just get it until my algae issue was resolved and then rehome him. I can confirm he does not eat any dang algae, nor is he a fan of nori. On the other hand, against all research I did, he loves to get crazy in the mix with my clown fish when I feed them. It seems he absolutely loves the meaty food I feed them. I have grown slightly attached to him though due to his personality. Unfortunately, I know I will have to rehome him when he grows, since I have a smaller tank. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy his quirky personality.

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you have heard the legend of the tang police or even felt their wrath. Maybe you have wondered “What is the smallest tank for a tang?” Instead of focusing today on tang shaming or arguing about minimums, let’s talk about some Bristletooth tangs which are some of the smaller tangs which aren’t as demanding with their tank space requirements. What is your experience with Bristletooth tangs? Do you have a preference between Kole, Tomini, Chevron, or other tangs that fit into the Ctenochaetus genus? Please tell us about your experience with small tank tangs and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

ReefChasers_Tomini.jpeg

Photo by @ReefChasers

BTW, I did meet a Tang Police officer at Reef-A-Palooza Texas this past year and she and her K9 were very gracious, but I definitely would not want to get on the bad side of either one of them!
Got a Tomini from The fishhotel. I think it’s a harder “worker” than my Zebrasoma. The Tomini really “works it”.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tomini that started not much bigger than the size of a quarter, and cute orange freckles on its forehead. Within 2 years was a good 4 inches, and a fat, healthy, model citizen. Then one day, it suddenly disappeared without a single trace. Still haven't a clue where it went.

kiranatraj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indian gold ring bristletooth in 75 gal tank , great fish keeps pecking at rockwork all day and looks like a yellow eye kole
image.jpg

PeeperKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a WTBTT for about 5 months, then he started looking skinny but continued eating until the day before he died. His belly would look full while his body became emaciated. I was slow to recognize the problem. When I did, I tried metro/focus in his food but it was too late. I think it was a gut parasite.
For the time I had him, he was my favorite fish and I’ll definitely get another soon. He was very active, very beautiful and pecked at algae on rocks and glass all day. I miss him more than I’ve missed any other fish in the 25+ years I’ve had a reef tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you have heard the legend of the tang police or even felt their wrath. Maybe you have wondered “What is the smallest tank for a tang?” Instead of focusing today on tang shaming or arguing about minimums, let’s talk about some Bristletooth tangs which are some of the smaller tangs which aren’t as demanding with their tank space requirements. What is your experience with Bristletooth tangs? Do you have a preference between Kole, Tomini, Chevron, or other tangs that fit into the Ctenochaetus genus? Please tell us about your experience with small tank tangs and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

ReefChasers_Tomini.jpeg

Photo by @ReefChasers

BTW, I did meet a Tang Police officer at Reef-A-Palooza Texas this past year and she and her K9 were very gracious, but I definitely would not want to get on the bad side of either one of them!
Mine is a yellow eye kole!!! Shes a major B word!!! Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back