Small tank tangs: Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

• Yes, I currently keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 242 50.5%
  • Yes, I have kept a Bristletooth tang in the past.

Votes: 66 13.8%
  • No, but I plan to keep a Bristletooth tang in the future.

Votes: 101 21.1%
  • No, I have no plans to keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 63 13.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Don't have any yet but planning on getting a white tail and a convict for my 135g. Assuming they'll get along. Anyone keep two, introduced at the same time?
In my personal opinion it might be better to do three. More distraction. With two if one decides to stake a claim it’s focus will always be on the other. With three it gets split and eventually in my experience they quit acting up.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tang I put in my display was a white tail. "Turbo" is the most active fish I have - never never stops moving. Sometimes I feel a 6 ft tank is not big enough LOL. He is not very long, but super fat. He needs to go on a diet, but can't stop him from picking everything all day. I used to wonder why I didn't have algae problems...:)

Attachments

• Turbo.jpg
    Turbo.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 111

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Kole Tang for >10 years at this point. Absolute work horse of a fish. Always working on the rocks to keep them clean. Pretty docile tang that gets some aggression from my other Tangs, never seemed bothered by it though

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tangs but nada for me. I'm color obsessed so only really like purple, powder blue, regal and yellow is just ok. Powder brown and Achilles ok too. My purple is by himself now until I get another powder blue and he's a handful. 2-3 is about max for me in a 200g full of rock.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tank tangs: Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

Maybe you have heard the legend of the tang police or even felt their wrath. Maybe you have wondered “What is the smallest tank for a tang?” Instead of focusing today on tang shaming or arguing about minimums, let’s talk about some Bristletooth tangs which are some of the smaller tangs which aren’t as demanding with their tank space requirements. What is your experience with Bristletooth tangs? Do you have a preference between Kole, Tomini, Chevron, or other tangs that fit into the Ctenochaetus genus? Please tell us about your experience with small tank tangs and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

ReefChasers_Tomini.jpeg

Photo by @ReefChasers

BTW, I did meet a Tang Police officer at Reef-A-Palooza Texas this past year and she and her K9 were very gracious, but I definitely would not want to get on the bad side of either one of them!
Bristletooth tangs are just excellent fish

They don’t get so huge, so they’re good for smaller tanks - I have one in my 120 and it loves the space
Very active and peaceful, and probably the best algae cleaner aside form a sea hare

I shied away due to being vulnerable to ich and getting too big but would absolutely get a bristletooth again

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini Tang with an Achilles, a Foxface and a Flame Angel. The Flame was aggressive the first day I added the Achilles. Since then no issues. The Tomini is a sweetheart. Minds his own business. Achilles hasn't shown aggression to anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_4529.jpg
    IMG_4529.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 102

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get one. Are they colored as brilliantly as the online pics show?
Possibly. Mine is always (even now when I glanced over) lurking in the shadows at the back of the tank. I just managed to sneak a quick peek and I'd say mine is probably average in terms of coloring. Who knows what's "normal", though (a lot of these images have been heavily enhanced in Photoshop).

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always keep a kole tang. I love their look, thd comical way they swim and the constant activity. I find them peaceful as far as tangs go. (I did have a small squaretail bristletooth that was pure evil though, so you could always get a rogue individual)

Attachments

• 9C6AB3D2-5468-4A46-8857-8F94DC49AEDF.jpeg
    9C6AB3D2-5468-4A46-8857-8F94DC49AEDF.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 100

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two lavender tangs that I got as a pair . Hensel and Gretel. the coolest thing is they do synchronize swimming stunts when its feeding time and also team up on my terror of a lemon peel anglel in check .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back