Smallest city/metro with a good LFS?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious who out there lives in a small city/metro with a good fish shop? For instance, I’m in Birmingham AL, which is the 49th largest metro, and we have one solid shop. I’d assume every city the same size and larger has a good one, but who are the small towns with good places?

The best example I can think of is Mobile AL, which is #126 in metro size, and has one really good place. Even if it’s wayyyy down Airport blvd and hidden in the back.

This is the list I’m looking at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious who out there lives in a small city/metro with a good fish shop? For instance, I’m in Birmingham AL, which is the 49th largest metro, and we have one solid shop. I’d assume every city the same size and larger has a good one, but who are the small towns with good places?

The best example I can think of is Mobile AL, which is #126 in metro size, and has one really good place. Even if it’s wayyyy down Airport blvd and hidden in the back.

This is the list I’m looking at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas
I can agree we only have 1 good one. Ive been to the other one and haven't seen anything to make me believe we have 2. That's for sure.

OP
OP
Tuffyyyyy

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to disagree there. Steve & Steve are very nice but definitely let the store go past its prime. I’ve heard from people that have been in the hobby for a long time say it used to be a really good shop.

2 more examples I can think of for this topic - Huntsville AL & Montgomery AL both have shops and they’re both metros of about 400k. Curious if theres any in towns with <200k people.

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iowa City, Iowa has a population of around 74,000 with three highly rated aquatic shops. Sea of Marvels, Saltwater Unlimited, and Aquarius Aquatics. Aquarius Aquatics address shows Coralville, but it’s pretty much Iowa City. I haven’t personally been to any of the shops due to distance, but the reviews are excellent. Sea of Marvels and Saltwater Unlimited are by appointment only so there are a few bad reviews related to that, but customers in general seem quite happy.
Of course I live in an area of about 125,00 and not a single shop beyond Petco or Petsmart. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in WV and I don't think there is a single lfs that focuses on saltwater in our state, although we don't have any big cities either.

I'm hoping someone will correct me and I find out we do have one somewhere. I generally drive to Ohio to go to a lfs.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back