Smallest Grouper and Risks?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, I am researching what the smallest grouper available would be and what would be not safe to keep with it. From my research it seems the Coney grouper is the smallest that is available in the trade. Thanks for any help.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am researching what the smallest grouper available would be and what would be not safe to keep with it. From my research it seems the Coney grouper is the smallest that is available in the trade. Thanks for any help.
Smallest I know is Cephalopholis urodeta, the flagtail/v-tail grouper, at 11 inches full grown (about 6" smaller than the max size for the coney). Basically anything small enough to be eaten is probably at risk.

For info on keeping and tankmates:
For where to buy:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Groupers in general grow fast, get large and will eat anything that will fit in their mouths and cant fit in their mouths

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Smallest I know is Cephalopholis urodeta, the flagtail/v-tail grouper, at 11 inches full grown (about 6" smaller than the max size for the coney). Basically anything small enough to be eaten is probably at risk.

For info on keeping and tankmates:
For where to buy:
I'm not sure if they are a true grouper but I'm recently looking at Marine Bettas or Comet Groupers. Maxing out at a little under 8".

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Either way they'd end up shark food, those are a little too small.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No groupers. They're aggressive and want the tank to themselves. Will attack or eat other fish. Predators for sure.
Added a minatus grouper to a 120g 4x2x2 once and it was a mistake.
D

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they cold water?
Tropical, they’re found in the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean region.
Either way they'd end up shark food, those are a little too small.
Some people have had them exceed 4 inches but they are generally sold at much smaller sizes.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if they are a true grouper but I'm recently looking at Marine Bettas or Comet Groupers. Maxing out at a little under 8".

I’ve had a Marine Betta for around 5 years, about 5+ inches and has been a slow grower.
Lays low and doesn’t bother anything in the tank, doesn’t swim in the water column, basically stays in its own area.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve had a Marine Betta for around 5 years, about 5+ inches and has been a slow grower.
Lays low and doesn’t bother anything in the tank, doesn’t swim in the water column, basically stays in its own area.
5" presumably fully grown after 5 years?

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5" presumably fully grown after 5 years?
Possibly, not sure.
I’m thinking it was around 4” when I bought him.

I’m not sure how big they get but Hamlets I believe are in the bass-grouper family.
I’ve seen a couple of Indigo Hamlets on Divers Den in the past, they had nice coloring.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, not sure.
I’m thinking it was around 4” when I bought him.

I’m not sure how big they get but Hamlets I believe they are in the bass-grouper family.
I’ve seen a couple of Indigo Hamlets on Divers Den in the past, they had nice coloring.
Marine betta's are stated to get up to 8" full grown, Indigo hamlets are said to range from ~3-5.5". Blue Zoo occasionally carries Indigo, Black, Barred, and Butter hamlets (butter hitting 5", the others 5.5-6"), so I'd imagine an LFS could probably order from their distributors if someone wanted to buy one.

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Groupers big or small all have huge mouths. Best kept with lions and ell's

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 69 52.3%
  • NO

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back