Smallest Nano Invert Inhabitants?!

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm considering a Red Sea Reefer 170 (34g) and would like to hear some suggestions on really tiny inverts that would be interesting in a nano. I'm more interested in more uncommon inverts such as Pedersons Cleaner Shrimp, Emperor Shrimp, Bumblebee Shrimp, Pom Pom Crabs, and Armored Chitons. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you ahead of time!

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have Emperor Shrimps? Do they need to have a Sea Cucumber or Seaslug? If they do what kind? How to keep those Seaslugs and if they will release toxins on death?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squat lobsters are pretty cool and don't get too big

Be careful with these tiny critters, they can and will squeeze through the overflow of the tank and get lost in the filtration area.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a nano invert tank with them, RFA's and a couple unique bubble tips and my 2 (that i'm trying to pair) lightning maroon clowns.

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a nano invert tank with them, RFA's and a couple unique bubble tips and my 2 (that i'm trying to pair) lightning maroon clowns.
Do it! A party of Sexy Shrimps and a Pom Pom crab would be really cool to see in a nano! One problem is I'm not sure if maroons will tolerate small crabs and shrimp...

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept pederson's shrimps in a pico 5 gallon in the past, and even then, they were probably too tiny. They're beautiful, and will disappear in a Reefer 170. The overflow alone would suck them up instantly and they'll end up in the filter sock or worse.

The flow I had in the pico tank was super low, and they were able to live for awhile there. I only kept zoanthids. It was fun to see them, but I could never keep them alive for more than a year.

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept pederson's shrimps in a pico 5 gallon in the past, and even then, they were probably too tiny. They're beautiful, and will disappear in a Reefer 170. The overflow alone would suck them up instantly and they'll end up in the filter sock or worse.

The flow I had in the pico tank was super low, and they were able to live for awhile there. I only kept zoanthids. It was fun to see them, but I could never keep them alive for more than a year.
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately smaller inhabitants in tend to disappear such as a Atlantic sailfin Blenny, tiny Ruby dragonet, sexy Shrimp, and porcelain Crab (which I kept and disappeared in a few months prob due to semiaggressive fish and dense rock work). I was worried pedersons Shrimp will also disappear but I'll try super small shrimp and fish in the new tank at least twice until I give up. I've seen people keep small Shrimp in a much larger tank with no problem while some disappear in a small nano tank. I'm doing a simplistic/minimalistic styled aquascape so hope nothing disappears on me haha. The fish planed for the new tank will be tiny 1" gobies and some pipefish lol so they won't bother the shrimp.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the anemone shrimp in my IM 20g. It's always around the RBTA, and spends the nights hiding on the plating montipora, directly below the anemone. In the store they had them sitting on plate corals, which I was hoping for but just glad it's always out in the open. Contrast that with my pompom crab, which I only see every couple weeks, and half the time with a big red egg clutch under it.

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the anemone shrimp in my IM 20g. It's always around the RBTA, and spends the nights hiding on the plating montipora, directly below the anemone. In the store they had them sitting on plate corals, which I was hoping for but just glad it's always out in the open. Contrast that with my pompom crab, which I only see every couple weeks, and half the time with a big red egg clutch under it.
Which Anemone shrimp is it? I'm going between the Spotted Anemone Shrimp and the Pedersons Anemone Shrimp... can't choose which one.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I think Spotted ones are the most beautiful Anemone Shrimp out there! I might get both pedersons and white Spotted in the future. Thanks for suggestion!
No problem, here's where it usually hangs out all day. You can see the purple monti where it hides at night as well:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back