Smatfarm lights

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I lost a light due to my error and saw that these lights were inexpensive and had a modest review on line so I got two.
Now, the lights look great, it breaks down control ability into 6 ranges which is great but I think they cheaped out on paper. Yes paper!!! Lol the instructions are one fold out page and well kind of vague.
Having played around with the controls I finally did two things, I set the clock and I set the range for the dimmer.
What I haven't been able to do is set the on/off time and when the light is first turned on, all those values are set to 100% and I have no clue how to change those lol or even if they can be.
I looked on line for a tutorial and nothing so I plow through the obscure instructions and punch away at the menu button looking for inspiration lol.

When set to the dimmer mode which has the lights set to the values I like, the lights are beautiful and they give that awesome shimmer my old lights did not.
It kind of reminds me of the late 80s when I first saw MH 1400k lights and my jaw hit the floor.
I just need to figure my way through the controls.
The lights are worth a look for folks not looking to dump a lot of cash in lights.

If anyone has mastered these controls please help a non tech savy old man out lol 20210921_114705.jpg
20210921_114705.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this at their website, hopefully it can help:

1632410336255.png

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this at their website, hopefully it can help:

1632410336255.png
This! Choose Timer (ok) Sunrise Time (ok) (- or +) to set time and continue to Sunset Time, etc…. Sunlight is where you set the % for each channel, but I think you have that already?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I lost a light due to my error and saw that these lights were inexpensive and had a modest review on line so I got two.
Now, the lights look great, it breaks down control ability into 6 ranges which is great but I think they cheaped out on paper. Yes paper!!! Lol the instructions are one fold out page and well kind of vague.
Having played around with the controls I finally did two things, I set the clock and I set the range for the dimmer.
What I haven't been able to do is set the on/off time and when the light is first turned on, all those values are set to 100% and I have no clue how to change those lol or even if they can be.
I looked on line for a tutorial and nothing so I plow through the obscure instructions and punch away at the menu button looking for inspiration lol.

When set to the dimmer mode which has the lights set to the values I like, the lights are beautiful and they give that awesome shimmer my old lights did not.
It kind of reminds me of the late 80s when I first saw MH 1400k lights and my jaw hit the floor.
I just need to figure my way through the controls.
The lights are worth a look for folks not looking to dump a lot of cash in lights.

If anyone has mastered these controls please help a non tech savy old man out lol 20210921_114705.jpg
20210921_114705.jpg

Now that you've had these a little bit what do you think?

I picked one up for a frag tank got it setup and seems to be working well. Just curious how everyone's growth and what not seems after using consistently for awhile.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you've had these a little bit what do you think?

I picked one up for a frag tank
Love them, the shimmer is awesome and I have growth in a number of my frags, some have almost doubled in size.
I recently went to a reef store in Staten island and all their frag tanks had the lights.

Like I stated earlier, they may not have all the bells and whistles of other lights, but for a budget light they get the job done.

Folks should look at these lights before they are priced higher, I bought mine at $115 and yesterday I saw them selling for $130

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Folks should look at these lights before they are priced higher, I bought mine at $115 and yesterday I saw them selling for $130

i am seeing these being sold on aliexpress for about 115$ as well. thinking of taking the plunge if i can't find a used hydra 32HD to buy...

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @G Santana, I have been looking into the Smatfarm lights for my upcoming build. Due to the area where the tank will go I will need to design a canopy. So have a few questions to ask…
  1. How high off the water line do you have your lights mounted?
  2. How are your PAR readings? I am planning a mixed reef in a 90 gallon but likely won’t heavy in any one particular coral type.
Any feedback appreciated.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @G Santana, I have been looking into the Smatfarm lights for my upcoming build. Due to the area where the tank will go I will need to design a canopy. So have a few questions to ask…
  2. How are your PAR readings? I am planning a mixed reef in a 90 gallon but likely won’t heavy in any one particular coral type.
The lights I have mounted 8 inches off the surface. I can't tell you par readings as I have never measured and haven't really looked into renting one yet.
What I can tell you, these inexpensive lights grow corals.
I am having luck with Monti's all my zoas about20 different types, Trachphyllia, Acans, acanthophilia and Echinata chalices.
I have a few Acros sticks, although alive and extended, not much growth yet.

I hope this helps!!!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have mine set 9 inches above water line. I posted on another thread my par readings whi I am going from memory now. at I have the blues at 75 percent and the whites at 30 and green at 10. I get around 210 to 250 ish par about 13 inches deep consistently. I will dig out my notes

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was my actual numbers I pulled from a previous thread sorry I was a little off. Sorry my memory is going. The 250 was at 100 percent blue settings.
I ran some par's on my 2 smat farms over a 36 inch by 12 inch tank at % power 25/75/75/15/15 I am getting pretty uniform lighting of 150 to 185 par 13 inches down. If I crank up blues to 100% par really increases to the 230 to 260 range 13 inches down. lights are about 10 inches off water surface. liking them so far

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a few months old, but I was wondering if anyone has found a way to save your custom settings on these lights? I set the %'s and, when I back out of that menu option, the lights just revert back to blindingly bright. Mine didn't ship with a manual.....Thanks!

Also: these lights rip for the money. Pretty impressed with mine!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this thread is a few months old, but I was wondering if anyone has found a way to save your custom settings on these lights? I set the %'s and, when I back out of that menu option, the lights just revert back to blindingly bright. Mine didn't ship with a manual.....Thanks!

Also: these lights rip for the money. Pretty impressed with mine!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back