Smite's UNS 120s peninsula

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Sand and wrasses are must for me too. I'll take what comes with sand any day, sure it can be a pain, but the sheer amount of micro fauna and bacteria that reside in the sand bed, far outweighs any cons. Have you thought about lighting? I'm actually thinking about using two Kessil 500x's and a couple panel-style lights over my tank, mounted really high, 2'?
I have been thinking on the same light setup, except with 4 A360x and one ATI Straton. That would give a great combo.
The only thing I doubt about is the noise on the Kessis, People say you can hear the fan very well.
For the price of 2 A500x, you can get 4 A360x with an extra lens to cover the depth and spread.

Congratulations on the new tank.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get a few 6500k macros here soon. Tonight I shot under the blue channel and royal blue channel maxed out with a orange filter and macro lens.

I've moved my confetti to the very front where it will still get good flow but should have a little more PAR. My goal is to have the really tight growth with this piece.
DSC_0147.jpg

These sucker deserves a name. I cannot wait to see this thing as colony. It's starting to grow for me
DSC_0149-2.jpg

There's pink and then there's PINK topped with blue.
DSC_0156-4.jpg

No namer millepora
DSC_0157-2.jpg

Another no namer millepora
DSC_0163-2.jpg

Tyree pinky the bear? I don't recall the exact name
DSC_0168-2.jpg

Malaysian piece
DSC_0174.jpg

No namer that looks like images I've seen of "cookie monster". This is the one thats dead center and bright under 6500k picutres
DSC_0180.jpg

Today was the first time I woke up to green film on the glass in a long time! I know that's may seem weird to be stoked on but whenever I need to clean the glass daily my tank seems to be doing very well. I'm hoping it's a sign that my CUC is knocking the GHA back enough to give other things enough nutrients to grow.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to get a few 6500k macros here soon. Tonight I shot under the blue channel and royal blue channel maxed out with a orange filter and macro lens.

I've moved my confetti to the very front where it will still get good flow but should have a little more PAR. My goal is to have the really tight growth with this piece.
DSC_0147.jpg

These sucker deserves a name. I cannot wait to see this thing as colony. It's starting to grow for me
DSC_0149-2.jpg

There's pink and then there's PINK topped with blue.
DSC_0156-4.jpg

No namer millepora
DSC_0157-2.jpg

Another no namer millepora
DSC_0163-2.jpg

Tyree pinky the bear? I don't recall the exact name
DSC_0168-2.jpg

Malaysian piece
DSC_0174.jpg

No namer that looks like images I've seen of "cookie monster". This is the one thats dead center and bright under 6500k picutres
DSC_0180.jpg

Today was the first time I woke up to green film on the glass in a long time! I know that's may seem weird to be stoked on but whenever I need to clean the glass daily my tank seems to be doing very well. I'm hoping it's a sign that my CUC is knocking the GHA back enough to give other things enough nutrients to grow.
Looking great! Congrats on the algae dusting, it's a good sign.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I really need to break out my Nikon and take some shots myself, but I need to buy the porthole first.
First pic is awesome!
Yeah man, you got some fire in there that needs to be seen! Haha thanks, that was the surprise of all the pieces when I went all white. You could see its trim immediately. The day it showed up from the TCK sale I took them all outside and in the sunlight I was like DAAAAAMMMNNN.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah man, you got some fire in there that needs to be seen! Haha thanks, that was the surprise of all the pieces when I went all white. You could see its trim immediately. The day it showed up from the TCK sale I took them all outside and in the sunlight I was like DAAAAAMMMNNN.
Daylight is so revealing, but in a good way for a lot of sps. Just look at Battlecorals pics, all of those pieces grow under 6500k Iwasaki bulbs.
I'm actually starting to get rid of stuff, I have duplicates of pieces and a lot on my sand bed. I just need to clean house. I just hate selling stuff. It's always a PITA.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daylight is so revealing, but in a good way for a lot of sps. Just look at Battlecorals pics, all of those pieces grow under 6500k Iwasaki bulbs.
I'm actually starting to get rid of stuff, I have duplicates of pieces and a lot on my sand bed. I just need to clean house. I just hate selling stuff. It's always a PITA.
I hear ya on that! I've never been a fan of selling and prefer trading but when you're outta room you gotta do what you gotta do!

I believe it. All white my BC Bubblebath Unicorn was looking pretty spot on to his online picture. Man I'm so tempted to go MH. I keep going back and forth daily. I think if I can find the right reflectors I'm leaning toward MH.....I'll just set up after summer and worry about it next year :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.
How high do you have your G5 X30's above the water? Seems around 10"?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.
How high do you have your G5 X30's above the water? Seems around 10"?
Thanks,

They are exactly 10” diodes to top of water, good eye!

I finally sat down and played with Mobius a little more. The majority of my day was super blue to my eye but then other times I'd walk by and it would pretty close to what I wanted from the lights. My issue was I had set my lights to come on all blue/royal blue/ uv for a sunrise effect. I then set my peak daylight photo period with all sliders up 100% @ 60% overall intensity. So for the 2 hours before and after the peak point my lights were slowly blending from B/RB/UV to AB+. I've now set a AB+ point shortly after the sunrise at a low overall intensity and I have a better overall looking throughout the day. I should have played with it sooner

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, that's looking great!
Thanks bud! It's been quite a bit of hard work and it's really starting to turn a corner for the better all around. I feel like I have a good balance of fish to coral and the fish get along for the most part.

My seahare went on to another local reefer today. I started to see it come out during the day to graze so I got a little worried he was short on food, glad he got to continue on.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks bud! It's been quite a bit of hard work and it's really starting to turn a corner for the better all around. I feel like I have a good balance of fish to coral and the fish get along for the most part.

My seahare went on to another local reefer today. I started to see it come out during the day to graze so I got a little worried he was short on food, glad he got to continue on.
That's good! Yeah, they can starve in a very short period of time. They sometimes go off of the GHA diet and will consume other algae, which makes it hard for them to survive if they don't have other algae to eat. Glad you found it a home.
So, are you going to move everything from your current tank to the new build or are you going to be a two tank home?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good! Yeah, they can starve in a very short period of time. They sometimes go off of the GHA diet and will consume other algae, which makes it hard for them to survive if they don't have other algae to eat. Glad you found it a home.
So, are you going to move everything from your current tank to the new build or are you going to be a two tank home?
Ahaha while I’d love to have two, no I can’t. I’ll be transferring everything over to the new tank. That’s part of what has me stumped trying to envision my rock work for the set up. I’ve got a box the size of the new tank but trying to picture my current rock will be tricky. I may just end up cycling the rock as is, or building a few arches and just stacking when the time comes. Not sure yet but I need to get them cycling incase they meet their 3 month lead time estimate. I’m going to try and have them cycled blacked out while cycling and watch what the nutrients do. See if they leach anything.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahaha while I’d love to have two, no I can’t. I’ll be transferring everything over to the new tank. That’s part of what has me stumped trying to envision my rock work for the set up. I’ve got a box the size of the new tank but trying to picture my current rock will be tricky. I may just end up cycling the rock as is, or building a few arches and just stacking when the time comes. Not sure yet but I need to get them cycling incase they meet their 3 month lead time estimate. I’m going to try and have them cycled blacked out while cycling and watch what the nutrients do. See if they leach anything.
I cured my dry rocks for months and they still leached a ton of phosphates. Of course, I didn't try to pull the phosphate out during the curing process, which is why I ended up with GHA. I would get them soaking soon. You should use PNS Probio or PNS substrate sauce while curing, along with other bacteria.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cured my dry rocks for months and they still leached a ton of phosphates. Of course, I didn't try to pull the phosphate out during the curing process, which is why I ended up with GHA. I would get them soaking soon. You should use PNS Probio or PNS substrate sauce while curing, along with other bacteria.
That's the plan, well PNS wasn't in the playbook but that looks good I'll give it a go along with my usual bacteria. I also am considering starting a phyto culture to really pre-seed the rock with pods once cycled.

About 1/2 the rock has already been muriatic acid bathed. The other stuff I got looks somewhat clean and the bath is such a pain I may just let it ride. I've got a good amount of GFO that I wont use on my reef anymore so I'll run that if I see phosphates pop up. Hopefully that plus water changes can get me close to clean by the time the tank shows up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back