Smite's UNS 120s peninsula

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! I have a UNS 75s on order and love the shallow tanks. What is the height of your stand? 36"? I'm struggling on what height I want for mine (tank is 12" H). I love the top down look but wasn't sure how much hunching over I'd want to do.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I've gone back and forth on adding either white t5s or orphek OR3 bars to my current lights OR completely swapping everything out for MH or trying to sell these and buy the g5 pro versions. There are so little white leds in the blue model it just doesnt make sense to crank those few diodes up and lower the majority of the light's diodes (blue/RB) to get the color I'd like.

I'm actually gonna see how much growth I can pump out of this sucker in the next 5 months cause I've green lighted a larger tank from CD aquariums. That's probably when I'll swap around lighting.
Nice! What size tank?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! I have a UNS 75s on order and love the shallow tanks. What is the height of your stand? 36"? I'm struggling on what height I want for mine (tank is 12" H). I love the top down look but wasn't sure how much hunching over I'd want to do.
Gorgeous tanks, you'll love it!

So I'm 6' and wanted the same thing so I built my stand at 39", with the tank being 15" tall that puts me at 54" to top of glass. It's prefect, I can step back and only have to bend over slightly but still easily view from top down.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What size tank?
It works out to a 200-205g display. The dimensions are 50"x38"x25". I went internal corner overflow. I went 25" so I can hopefully keep sand and really high flow. I just miss having tangs and sand dwelling wrasse to much. I have material to start doing rockwork then I'm going to start curing cycling it. CDA said 3 months but seems like everyone in the area is waiting more like 5-6 months with shortages ect. By then I think this tank will be pretty well grown in

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It works out to a 200-205g display. The dimensions are 50"x38"x25". I went internal corner overflow. I went 25" so I can hopefully keep sand and really high flow. I just miss having tangs and sand dwelling wrasse to much. I have material to start doing rockwork then I'm going to start curing cycling it. CDA said 3 months but seems like everyone in the area is waiting more like 5-6 months with shortages ect. By then I think this tank will be pretty well grown in
That's awesome! Sand and wrasses are must for me too. I'll take what comes with sand any day, sure it can be a pain, but the sheer amount of micro fauna and bacteria that reside in the sand bed, far outweighs any cons. Have you thought about lighting? I'm actually thinking about using two Kessil 500x's and a couple panel-style lights over my tank, mounted really high, 2'?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Sand and wrasses are must for me too. I'll take what comes with sand any day, sure it can be a pain, but the sheer amount of micro fauna and bacteria that reside in the sand bed, far outweighs any cons. Have you thought about lighting? I'm actually thinking about using two Kessil 500x's and a couple panel-style lights over my tank, mounted really high, 2'?
I've been thinking about sand since I saw all the micro fauna when I visited your house and saw the tank. My buddy Eve went sand also and he's got an insane amount of pods ect in a tank the same age as mine. I want a gigantea or haddoni carpet with a pair of pink skunk clowns as well.

I keep going back and forth on lighting.

1) I keep my g5 blues and maybe add some white/daylight bars to them.
2) I sell my blues and get pros and probably add the same bars for coverage
3) I go 2x250w MH with cozumel sun reflectors and blue LED supplement bars for tenuis viewing. The only draw back to this would be the size of the lights, they may be more difficult to work around on such a wide tank but I know of all choices this would be my favorite all around lighting setup.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to do a adjustable canopy frame, with a removeable skin for full access since it's a pretty wide tank front to back and will be in a corner. I'm gonna need all the access I can get.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what panel lights are you looking at?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also want to do a adjustable canopy frame, with a removeable skin for full access since it's a pretty wide tank front to back and will be in a corner. I'm gonna need all the access I can get.
That's why I'm going to redo my canopy with 8020. I want to wrap the interior of the canopy with a reflector "flashing" like we used to do with vho's and mh, to maximize as much reflection as possible. It won't be much, but I'll take what I can get. I really like the ATI Straton's for panel lighting. I think a mix of panel/bars and other led's covers a lot of ground. I would do metal halide again, but it gets too hot here in the valley, that and 6500k bulbs are done. I remember when 14k bulbs came out, they were so blue back then, it's kinda funny now. Then radiums blew up, which started a whole new trend that basically inspired the next generation in lighting, LED's.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reefbreeders would allow me to hang them high with the 500x's, but if I stick with the 360x's, then the Straton in the middle would cover a lot. Also, I think the Orphek's (OR bars) hung higher would do the trick as well?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reefbreeders would allow me to hang them high with the 500x's, but if I stick with the 360x's, then the Straton in the middle would cover a lot. Also, I think the Orphek's (OR bars) hung higher would do the trick as well?
Oh man, I'll want to check that out. I really like the look of the straton just havent seen one in person yet

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, I keep forgetting to ask you, but how is the confetti frag doing? My colony is growing like a weed, but I noticed that the polyps aren't that yellow anymore. It could be that I don't run blues (or heavy blue) that much, other than the beginning and end of my light cycle.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I keep forgetting to ask you, but how is the confetti frag doing? My colony is growing like a weed, but I noticed that the polyps aren't that yellow anymore. It could be that I don't run blues (or heavy blue) that much, other than the beginning and end of my light cycle.
It's growing well! So far its really bright pink but its not that large yet and I'm assuming that is why I dont have multiple colors yet. I also have it low were it could table and not shade anything. In that all blue top down (not the best reference) its about 19 seconds in on its own little rock. Just below the purplish acro with yellow coralites.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's growing well! So far its really bright pink but its not that large yet and I'm assuming that is why I dont have multiple colors yet. I also have it low were it could table and not shade anything. In that all blue top down (not the best reference) its about 19 seconds in on its own little rock. Just below the purplish acro with yellow coralites.
Nice! I'm glad it's growing for you. I think a few of my pieces look different, mainly because I have so much flow in such a small area, probably too much flow? :rolleyes: The branches on my lime in the sky are super thick, but the pics I see in other tanks, they look kinda thin to me.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'm glad it's growing for you. I think a few of my pieces look different, mainly because I have so much flow in such a small area, probably too much flow? :rolleyes: The branches on my lime in the sky are super thick, but the pics I see in other tanks, they look kinda thin to me.
Yeah I’m pretty strong flow too compared to others. My MP40s are about maxed out on 60 sec alternating pulses. I noticed in a local grow out my piece stated to get thick and branch out where as everyone else had tall thinner growth. I prefer the thicker more compact growth patterns, I think it looks a little more natural.
I bet I’m just too clean right now for it too. Cannot get po4 or No3 to register on my Hannah and salifert kits.

Back