OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest additions are released. They've been out of the acclimation boxes for 2 nights now. No real aggression so far, it's actually just the powder brown and scopas who shoot each other a size up here and there. The size difference was big enough to where the tomini and sailfin knew who's boss. Glad it worked out, if anything changes the larger tangs with be transferred to the cycling bin with all the cycled rock for the new tank then will be reintroduced on transfer day.

Here are some full tank shots from today. I need to figure out a sleek way to get a fan setup in there, the CPU fans are kind of an eye sore.
DSC_0082-2.jpg
DSC_0080.jpg
DSC_0078-2.jpg
DSC_0074-3.jpg

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you. I'm doing a UNS 75s w/ a fiji cube overflow (likely sim to your MD one). What is your water line (from top)? What is the dimension between the top of your weir of your overflow to the top of the glass and how high is the water line in relation to the bottom of your weir teeth? I'm trying to figure out where to mount my overflow. I'm going for the same look where the lid has no cut outs so the weir must be below the lid but high enough to have a decent water line. Thanks!

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you. I'm doing a UNS 75s w/ a fiji cube overflow (likely sim to your MD one). What is your water line (from top)? What is the dimension between the top of your weir of your overflow to the top of the glass and how high is the water line in relation to the bottom of your weir teeth? I'm trying to figure out where to mount my overflow. I'm going for the same look where the lid has no cut outs so the weir must be below the lid but high enough to have a decent water line. Thanks!
Great question, learn from me and play it safe. If you look closely I had to partially drain my tank, remove the overflow and cut my weir teeth out to lower the water level. My MD kit didn't come with instructions so I assumed the arrow was top of glass. Now I think the provided stencil is probably for a rimmed tank.

I would place that arrow .5-1" below the top of our tank. Better yet, count on the water going at least 1/2 way up the weir teeth to be safe. Tape where you would like the water level to be with painters tape, hold up the inside box at that level to center of teeth and mark with a sharpie on the backside of the glass to center of hole. Then use your stencil provided to center/and space your holes correctly based of that mark for height.

If it looks very similar I'd urge you to consider a Modular Marine box. They weren't taking orders when i built mine due to an acrylic shortage but the build quality is night and day. Primarily the outer box has a much heavier construction. This box has 3x 1" holes but bows easily and causes salt creep issues with the lid not fitting well with the bow. There is also no way to service the bulkheads for the inner box since the box was built around the bulkhead on the MD type. So careful when tightening them down if you do use it!

I'll keep an eye out for the build, these tanks are an awesome, well built blank canvas for a reef tank!

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question, learn from me and play it safe. If you look closely I had to partially drain my tank, remove the overflow and cut my weir teeth out to lower the water level. My MD kit didn't come with instructions so I assumed the arrow was top of glass. Now I think the provided stencil is probably for a rimmed tank.

I would place that arrow .5-1" below the top of our tank. Better yet, count on the water going at least 1/2 way up the weir teeth to be safe. Tape where you would like the water level to be with painters tape, hold up the inside box at that level to center of teeth and mark with a sharpie on the backside of the glass to center of hole. Then use your stencil provided to center/and space your holes correctly based of that mark for height.

If it looks very similar I'd urge you to consider a Modular Marine box. They weren't taking orders when i built mine due to an acrylic shortage but the build quality is night and day. Primarily the outer box has a much heavier construction. This box has 3x 1" holes but bows easily and causes salt creep issues with the lid not fitting well with the bow. There is also no way to service the bulkheads for the inner box since the box was built around the bulkhead on the MD type. So careful when tightening them down if you do use it!

I'll keep an eye out for the build, these tanks are an awesome, well built blank canvas for a reef tank!

Thanks for the write up! I really appreciate it.

Knowing the water is approximately 1/2 way up (which is what I expect) the weir is helpful. I know it'll differentiate a bit based on flow but I don't think it'll be that much different. Your technique sounds golden. Without your help, I would have assumed water level to be 1/2 way anyways and then place the box at that location (or slightly lower for tolerance or extra protection). This cements my plan.

I did look into the MM boxes but at the time I was in the market they were not taking orders. Plus, I'm confident in the Fiji Cube box, has great reviews. Also, the MM didn't come with one close to the 600gph that was offered elsewhere. I also preferred to drill only 1 hole for the drain (+1 for return). Since my tank is much smaller than yours, the last thing I wanted was a large box behind or a long weir inside. No bean animal but that's okay.

I just got the tank (waited 2.5 months!) and I'm finishing up equipment gathering. Then the nervousness involved in drilling. I probably won't do a build thread but will likely post some pictures here and there. I'll tag you. Love these tanks, they are gorgeous!

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up! I really appreciate it.

Knowing the water is approximately 1/2 way up (which is what I expect) the weir is helpful. I know it'll differentiate a bit based on flow but I don't think it'll be that much different. Your technique sounds golden. Without your help, I would have assumed water level to be 1/2 way anyways and then place the box at that location (or slightly lower for tolerance or extra protection). This cements my plan.

I did look into the MM boxes but at the time I was in the market they were not taking orders. Plus, I'm confident in the Fiji Cube box, has great reviews. Also, the MM didn't come with one close to the 600gph that was offered elsewhere. I also preferred to drill only 1 hole for the drain (+1 for return). Since my tank is much smaller than yours, the last thing I wanted was a large box behind or a long weir inside. No bean animal but that's okay.

I just got the tank (waited 2.5 months!) and I'm finishing up equipment gathering. Then the nervousness involved in drilling. I probably won't do a build thread but will likely post some pictures here and there. I'll tag you. Love these tanks, they are gorgeous!
Sounds like a plan! If you ever feel like life is flying by.....order a tank! The days'll draaaaag by. :) Best of luck, lots of water with little pressure and lots of patience and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren’t many fish I’d place a sand section back in my tank but couldn’t pass this fella up.
He’s settling in now and already going for food. Came from a fellow hobbyist’ tank that had him for 2 years. In acclimation box but not sure whether to release him to sleep or keep him in there another day. I’m open to suggestions
ECE15799-9D52-415F-8131-86671B4DD3DA.jpeg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Chaoti is up but the tangs are pretty relentless, even with a mirror on the glass. Doesn't seem to distract the PB at all.

I was able to guide him back into the acclimation box. I'll probably guide him back to the sand so he can sleep after lights out and see how it goes again tomorrow.

If it continues I'll pull the powder brown and tomini tang and they'll get to chill in the cycle bin for a bit and cool off.

He's much larger than the pintail and flasher so I don't see an issue there.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
02E73588-60E2-4D13-A477-815656A5997D.jpeg
8298AAFD-437C-495C-802C-CD4531128642.jpeg
5A6F23C4-A0A3-4E95-8BA8-081E8C6AE11F.jpeg

2 days of acclimation box socialization and the group has excepted the chaoti wrasse. I released him nightly and have been training him to find the sand section to sleep. I’d the. Guide him back into the acclimation box since the tomini and Pb weren’t to happy with him. But all is good today. Hopefully he will find the sandbox on his own tonight.

the harlequin pair is at work. Way less on the glass today than even yesterday. Actively out and hunting as a pair during the day too. Not as timid as one I had before.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank Smite! It oddly reminds me of biggles's tank from RC in the past so nice work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back