Smooth hound. Jumped..

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I came home and found one of my smooth hounds had jumped out of the pond. (He was still breathing) I placed him in front of the wavemaker and moved him around the pond. But now he’s just sitting on the bottom not moving.. I checked the video and he was out of the pond for almost an hr in 92* temp. My question is what are the chances he’s going to survive. He appears to be breathing normally but doesn’t react to stimuli.. anything I can do for him?

Thoughts opinions.

And before anyone asks. There was a double layer of cargo netting he managed to shoot up and wiggle through both nets. Smh

dodojojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he managed to shoot up and wiggle through both nets. Smh
Where there's a will, there's a way and those buggers seem to never run out of willpower.

Realistically best thing to do is keep an eye on it. I've seen some smooth hounds jump and survive some really nasty falls and others that didn't make it from a minor incident.
Check the respiratory rate every so often while it's sitting on the bottom and note any changes to help you watch for a decline in condition. If you have any way to increase the amount of O2 in the system, that never hurts either.

Best of luck!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back