snail/clam Id

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
4,317
Reaction score
2,639
Location
Allenstown nh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone Id this? It has the shell of a clam and the body of a limpet. It moves and acts like a limpet. But looks like a clam with only half a shell.
 

Attachments

  • 20150729_134631.jpg
    20150729_134631.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • 20150729_134619.jpg
    20150729_134619.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 20150729_135509.jpg
    20150729_135509.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 168
  • 20150729_135422.jpg
    20150729_135422.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 170
I thought maybe chiton but no sections. Completly smooth.
 
here something i pulled off the internet, I was trying to find something that matched your underside shot. Do they move around with a foot?


o_DFenwick20060302_1.jpg
 
Opihi! We have them in Hawaii and people eat the larger ones.
 
[QUOT="bobbychullo, post: 2386108, member: 53748"]here something i pulled off the internet, I was trying to find something that matched your underside shot. Do they move around with a foot?
That is very close but smooth edge to thr shell. Not exactly it. And yes it appears to have a foot. And also antenae when its moving. With a mouth like a snail.

o_DFenwick20060302_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
That I
 
Opihi! We have them in Hawaii and people eat the larger ones.
When I google that It shows textured shells more like limpets. This is very smooth like a clam. No texture. And the outer parimeter of the shell is also smooth like a clam. No ridges. Look close at the pics. I don't think its an opihi
 
LottPeltWbarn.jpg


here's a smooth limpet. the difference with all the limpets I see tho is the peak or apex of their shells seem to be more centered where your little guy's is pushed back like a clam/bivalve. If it has a foot it could be a type of snail maybe?

I've had no luck in my internet searches for anything that looks similar to your pics... I'm gonna keep looking tho.
 
LottPeltWbarn.jpg


here's a smooth limpet. the difference with all the limpets I see tho is the peak or apex of their shells seem to be more centered where your little guy's is pushed back like a clam/bivalve. If it has a foot it could be a type of snail maybe?

I've had no luck in my internet searches for anything that looks similar to your pics... I'm gonna keep looking tho.
Thankyou bobby. But I think tahoe hit It with slipper limpet
 
They're pretty cool. I caught them at my local beach. The shells are purple. Pretty cool :-)
 
When I google that It shows textured shells more like limpets. This is very smooth like a clam. No texture. And the outer parimeter of the shell is also smooth like a clam. No ridges. Look close at the pics. I don't think its an opihi

Sorry I was referring to the picture of above my original post.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new