Snails alive?

Discussion in 'Nano Reefs' started by Lexii denton, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

I’ve been through hell and back with my nano reef! I’ve got all my parameters right now I’ve got them to stay right!
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    Phosphate 0
    Calcium 400
    Ph 8.3
    Salinity 1.025
    Temp is 73° but I try to keep it closer to 75/76

So I’m trying to get some live stock In here again! I put 3 snails and 3 hermit crabs in lastnight. They all roamed for about 3 hours and then just kinda hung out. My snails all seem to be kind of just hanging out. They’re alive, when I pick them up they close their foot, are they dying?
    [​IMG]
    I’ve been trying to get this tank right for months! Please give me some hope! My hermit crabs seem to be doing better than the snails
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tags:

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

How did you acclimate them? Snails do tend to hang out for some time after introduction in my experience.

JoshH likes this.
  3. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

I do a drip acclimation, theirs took about 30/40 min of floating In the bag in my tank while adding pipets of my water to their bag until the salinity was equal

TheEngineer likes this.
  4. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

They’re probably fine. Just leave them be for a few days.

5. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

Update!! I came home from work and all but one snail is dead I’ve worked so hard on this tank for almost 3 months now and I can’t get anything to live. Any ideas what it could be??

6. TheEngineer

What are your water parameters?

7. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

I put all parameters in original post

8. TheEngineer

73 is quite cold. Why so low?

9. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

After some other opinions I turned it up to 78° I usually tried to keep it Around 75 but I was told that was too cold

Mikedawg likes this.
  10. Mikedawg

Mikedawg Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Don't give up; looks like you're on right track and raising temp as you have is a good thing. I think closing of the foot is a defensive/survival instinct and normal.
    How did you get your parameters to read 0 and What are your inverts eating?

11. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

I use 2 different filter types and I’ve used ammolock to kill ammonia and [​IMG] for nitrate and nitrite, I think one of my biofilters killed the phosphates

12. TheEngineer

You used these chemicals during your cycle?

13. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

Not during my initial cycle, I had put snails in, then after a week of initially putting snails in I put in a few zoa frags and everything spiked again like it was cycling again. That’s when I started using the chemicals

14. TheEngineer

Ok. It sounds to me like your tank just isn’t ready. How did you cycle the tank? Live rock? Live sand? How long did it cycle?

Mikedawg likes this.
  15. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

Both live rock and live sand, it took about 5 weeks to cycle, it’s about a month into this “second cycle”

16. Mikedawg

Yeah, if you're having to use Amquel it may well be that your tank didn't finish cycling the first time and is recycling. If you don't add Amquel, what ammonia readings will you get? That might tell you if you need to run second cycle a little longer.

TheEngineer likes this.
  17. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

I’ll have to give it a few weeks without the Amquel. So pretty much my best bet now is to be patient and let this cycle finish?

Mikedawg likes this.
  18. TheEngineer

That’s what I would do. Do a 25% water change and then let it run for a few weeks. Do a ghost feeding and test 24 hours later. No spike? Feed a little more and repeat. Still no spike? Start with a clean up crew.

19. Lexii denton

Lexii denton Member

Thank you so so so much!! I’ve felt so lost through all of this

20. Mikedawg

I think that would be a good plan, especially if you periodically test ammonia to see which direction it is going. You may be sick of reading about cycling, but here's an article that is straight forward and may be of interest: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cycling-an-aquarium.306554/
    Once your tank is stabilized, the really fun part of reefing will begin - selecting fish, coral, inverts, etc so be sure to post pics!

Draft saved Draft deleted