Snails dying when out in tank after acclimation

Carpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 4 month old, YWG and Clownfish, black foot trochus snail and 3 hermits. About a month ago I bought 2 turbos, 2 nassarius and a nano conch. Drip acclimated how I always do, 1/1.5 hours emptying half of the water out each 30 mins. As soon as I add them to the tank, the conch is flipping out doing laps of the tank for an hour and then just stops moving for a couple of day before dying!

The 2 turbos kicked themselves on their shell and died, and nassarius went crazy flipping about and died. All while the black foot trochus snail and all hermits and fish are fine. The CUC I did for my bigger tank were all moving straight away!

Now today about a month later, I’ve tried it again, and the exact same thing has happened to the turbos, conch is flipping out, nassarius snails went mad but then buried themselves, and cerith snails acted abit strange and then buried themselves.

I even took one of the dormant turbos and chucked him straight in my big tank (no acclimation) and he’s moving around the tank straight away!

Im really confused and don’t know what to do, my water seems fine:

ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
PO4: 0.03
PH: 8.15
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 25c

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a drip loop to make it gentler? Do you run carbon? It's true it's a bit odd. Does the temperature match between their acclimation container and the tank (and salinity but I've seen inverts freak out at temperature changes like how you describe)

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have your trochus snails and hermit crabs been alive in your tank?
If existing inverts are fine and new ones only are dying, I'd vote double check your salinity. (Just a thought)

Upvote 0

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange that if they are being acclimated that it would only happen once they are in the tank.

Do you happen to have any dinoflagellates on your sandbed? Some can be toxic to snails.

Upvote 0

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to drip acclimate my cuc, using the same method that you did and had a 100% mortality rate. I must’ve killed at least 20 snails over a period of a few months.

I heeded others advice and stopped acclimating my snails. I now have a 100% survival rate.

My account is completely anecdotal and is controversial, whilst also not entirely relevant to your situation. Just something to consider.

Upvote 2

sidpost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to drip acclimate my cuc, using the same method that you did and had a 100% mortality rate. I must’ve killed at least 20 snails over a period of a few months.

I heeded others advice and stopped acclimating my snails. I now have a 100% survival rate.

My account is completely anecdotal and is controversial, whilst also not entirely relevant to your situation. Just something to consider.
Meaning no acclimation and just tossing in the tank straight from the bag?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have your trochus snails and hermit crabs been alive in your tank?
If existing inverts are fine and new ones only are dying, I'd vote double check your salinity. (Just a thought)
Trochus snails and hermits have been in there for a few months and I always check the salinity matches tank before throwing them in! I added and emerald crab aswell with this lot and it’s the only thing to survive

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange that if they are being acclimated that it would only happen once they are in the tank.

Do you happen to have any dinoflagellates on your sandbed? Some can be toxic to snails.
The rock is covered in diatoms and I think I can see Cyanobacteria starting

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen a few people don’t acclimate! Which is why I grabbed the Turbo snail that kicked himself on his back and through him straight in to my bigger tank, no acclimation, he started moving straight away, he’s still alive 3 days later in my big tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a drip loop to make it gentler? Do you run carbon? It's true it's a bit odd. Does the temperature match between their acclimation container and the tank (and salinity but I've seen inverts freak out at temperature changes like how you describe)
I’m running Chemi Pure Blue, salinity always matches, but maybe the temp in the acclimation jug might drop in temp a bit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a huge water change yesterday, about 75%! I emptied all water out the AIO filter chambers aswell as any detritus that was down there, gave all bio media, filter basket and chemipure blue pouches a good clean.

I then added a big dose of pods, I put in a good amount as I have a few diatoms and waste etc. I left pump off for 20 mins to let pods settle! For the first 10/15 mins I could see them everywhere, zipping about the sand, rock and water column! I put pump back on, and about 30 mins later I went back to have a look, loads of pods looked lifeless floating around the tank. I couldn’t see them zipping around the sand and rock anymore and not one clinging on to the glass, so I’m assuming all the pods died too! I’m completely stumped now!

I’ve ordered a Fauna Marin ICP total test. I hope they can find something in my water just so I have a lead, and can hopefully get more CUC as my tank is desperate for it!

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back