Snorkeling at Saavedra Cebu, Philippines

Nice video. Looks like no coral bleaching in the Philippines?
 
Nice video. Looks like no coral bleaching in the Philippines?

Depends where you go. There is coral bleaching in other parts... especially at the tourist-heavy areas like the Northern tip of Mactan Cebu.

In Siargao, so many travelers go there mainly surfing. I did as well but I prefer diving or snorkeling. Cemetery Beach is where most beginners go. The reef right off the coast is pretty much gone. You have to wear wet shoes to not cut your feet from all the coral skeletons. As you venture further into the ocean where fewer people go surfing, the reef there is healthy and thriving. There are other spots in Siargao for surfing with similar dead coral issues but not as bad as Cemetery Beach.

Siargao is also home to a protected area that includes coral reefs, a mangrove reserve, and a jellyfish sanctuary. As with other sanctuaries and protected areas, a guide is needed to go to those places. I plan to go to the mangrove reserve and the jellyfish sanctuary on my next trip.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new