Snorkeling & Collecting Discussion Group

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I had a vacation to Hawaii planned last September, but because of the Covid restrictions there, we decided not to go. Instead, we had always wanted to check out the KEYS, so off we went. Luckily, I found this thread before we left and contacted Ron who spent much time with me mapping out areas where we could collect for our aquariums. With his advice and maps, we were able to pick up many items for our tanks. It was amazing that we could go exactly where he told us different critters would be hanging out and easily find them.
While we did not find the Keys to be that special, we did have a riot collecting snails, starfish, urchins and emerald crabs. We even brought back a little caulerpa and halimeda plants.
Thanks Ron. You made our trip very special!

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them before and love them! I was wondering if it would be possible to collect them myself? I'm in Gainesville, FL. Where have you found them?
I've seen shells along the beaches on Sanibel, but I've never seen a live one. But then I don't snorkel there. I snorkel in the Keys and they are quite rare in the Keys.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I had a vacation to Hawaii planned last September, but because of the Covid restrictions there, we decided not to go. Instead, we had always wanted to check out the KEYS, so off we went. Luckily, I found this thread before we left and contacted Ron who spent much time with me mapping out areas where we could collect for our aquariums. With his advice and maps, we were able to pick up many items for our tanks. It was amazing that we could go exactly where he told us different critters would be hanging out and easily find them.
While we did not find the Keys to be that special, we did have a riot collecting snails, starfish, urchins and emerald crabs. We even brought back a little caulerpa and halimeda plants.
Thanks Ron. You made our trip very special!
You are quite welcome. I love snorkeling the Keys. Especially the shallows just off shore were we can take photos and do some collecting.

If anybody is ever interested in doing some vacation time in the Keys, I'm happy to offer help. In fact, we are probably going to do a Road Scholar trip to Key West sometime late in 2022. Road Scholar is a travel group out of Boston that does trips all over the world... including Key West! The trips are mostly all inclusive (except for travel to and from) and they like to do a fair amount of education while showing you a good time. We have done 5 trips with them; Albuquerque for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, Churchill, Manitoba, Canada for the Aroara Borealis, Moab, Utah to photograph Canyonland and Arches National Parks, Gainsville, Florida to kayak the natural springs and we just did Palm Springs, Ca to hike 4 very different areas (desert, slot canyons, rocky hills and a mountain top at 8,500 feet). We will be kayaking the Everglades with Road Scholars soon, later we'll hike the Grand Canyon, revisit Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta again (it was that much fun!), and in 2023 we'll do a photography trip to Yellowstone.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll be hitting the KOA on sugarloaf key on the 28th...any suggestions this time of year?...it'll take a couple days to get home afterwards so i don't think anything would survive the trip home so no collecting planned...should i get a fishing license anyway? if so what's involved?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll be hitting the KOA on sugarloaf key on the 28th...any suggestions this time of year?...it'll take a couple days to get home afterwards so i don't think anything would survive the trip home so no collecting planned...should i get a fishing license anyway? if so what's involved?
Snorkeling in the sound, just south of the park channel bridge should be pretty good. Should be able to see wrasse and damsels all about the grass beds. Numerous lesser starlet corals, warty nems and other inshore critters are scattered all over. There were zoas growing on the rocks near the bridge and some rocks covered in them in the sound. They were a lighter purple tint under 12k lights and glowed purple under blue leds. You can take 5 polyps a day of them with a reg license, I think. Again, if collecting, follow the rules in the SW handbook. Most things I have collected around that area are in 10-25’ of water and I snorkel until I plan to go over 30’. So, as long as you can stay under for a bit, collection is easy.

For collecting, just a normal fishing license is fine. Just be sure to read over the guide for collection limits. Also, a couple of days is nothing if you have 50-60 bucks to spare. @DiefsReef just made a trip around the eastern half of the country carrying frags from our “crew”. He has a good example of a cooler setup I have used for years and I believe it is in his build thread. Hopefully he will chime in here and show some pics, as I am horrible with that lol. Only ones I have are a battery powered collection cart lol. It is below. As well as a small collection cooler. These are spray bar design, but for traveling, the one I walked @DiefsReef through building is best.

FE599843-0FDC-40D3-B05B-766928B57A98.jpeg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Across the bridge from the beach area at the KOA is a nice little system of mangrove channels. Cross the bridge on foot and snorkel around the mangroves.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t gonna collect then you don’t need a fishing license. If you want to fish then on a properly licensed charter fishing boat then you should be covered. If you fish from bridge, pier, jetty, etc, you will need a fishing license. Check with FWC website for regulations and fees. What’s the time back home, and type of vehicle? Are you traveling in mobile home or RVinng?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My closest friend has a house on the water in Key Largo. Diving and snorkeling there isn't the best but the shallows have quite a bit of life, especially around mangrove Islands,

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above info covers most of your questions. Have you ever snorkeled at the Horseshoe on Spanish Harbor Key (also known as Boy Scout Key)? If you aren't collecting, Bahia Honda State Park is great. Or rent a kayak and go out to Little Money Key (it's just 1/4 mile off from the boat ramp at the end of the Seven Mile Bridge).

The water temps are going to be kind of cool, depending on what you are use to. As a 20 year SW Floridian, we don't snorkel the Keys until May.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snorkeling in the sound, just south of the park channel bridge should be pretty good. Should be able to see wrasse and damsels all about the grass beds. Numerous lesser starlet corals, warty nems and other inshore critters are scattered all over. There were zoas growing on the rocks near the bridge and some rocks covered in them in the sound. They were a lighter purple tint under 12k lights and glowed purple under blue leds. You can take 5 polyps a day of them with a reg license, I think. Again, if collecting, follow the rules in the SW handbook. Most things I have collected around that area are in 10-25’ of water and I snorkel until I plan to go over 30’. So, as long as you can stay under for a bit, collection is easy.

For collecting, just a normal fishing license is fine. Just be sure to read over the guide for collection limits. Also, a couple of days is nothing if you have 50-60 bucks to spare. @DiefsReef just made a trip around the eastern half of the country carrying frags from our “crew”. He has a good example of a cooler setup I have used for years and I believe it is in his build thread. Hopefully he will chime in here and show some pics, as I am horrible with that lol. Only ones I have are a battery powered collection cart lol. It is below. As well as a small collection cooler. These are spray bar design, but for traveling, the one I walked @DiefsReef through building is best.

FE599843-0FDC-40D3-B05B-766928B57A98.jpeg
Below is the link to the pics on my thread. Following @Eagle_Steve guidance it was pretty easy to make the cooler tank and cost was minimal. I did change the design a bit so I could lower the filter and added some pics below.
As ES said above, I used this on a 1 week loop around Easter US. Don't forget you'll need a Power converter for the vehicle if you don't have an outlet.
Something like this:
Eidt;
The link to the power converter is being changed when saving. It will need to be something like this

300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Charger Converter with 4.8A Dual USB Ports (Blue)​

Thank you to @Eagle_Steve for the build plans! I have finished my mobile Cooler Frag tank..
20220201_205222.jpg
20220201_205309.jpg 20220201_205243.jpg
My water level was to high originally so I modified the design and now I can raise or lower the filter as I want.
I used 3/4 pvc because thats what I had on hand.
20220224_112333.jpg 20220224_112051.jpg 20220224_112501.jpg

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagle_Steve, thanks for the lead about snorkeling that area. I see there is a Sugarloaf Marina close by where we could launch our 11' Zodiac and do some snorkeling in the area.

Snorklr, I look forward to your feedback about your trip and especially the area nearby!

Have fun!

ReelSalty850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are quite welcome. I love snorkeling the Keys. Especially the shallows just off shore were we can take photos and do some collecting.

If anybody is ever interested in doing some vacation time in the Keys, I'm happy to offer help. In fact, we are probably going to do a Road Scholar trip to Key West sometime late in 2022. Road Scholar is a travel group out of Boston that does trips all over the world... including Key West! The trips are mostly all inclusive (except for travel to and from) and they like to do a fair amount of education while showing you a good time. We have done 5 trips with them; Albuquerque for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, Churchill, Manitoba, Canada for the Aroara Borealis, Moab, Utah to photograph Canyonland and Arches National Parks, Gainsville, Florida to kayak the natural springs and we just did Palm Springs, Ca to hike 4 very different areas (desert, slot canyons, rocky hills and a mountain top at 8,500 feet). We will be kayaking the Everglades with Road Scholars soon, later we'll hike the Grand Canyon, revisit Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta again (it was that much fun!), and in 2023 we'll do a photography trip to Yellowstone.
Hi and greetings from the Panhandle (Panama City). I will be traveling to West Palm 7-14 May to visit family and snorkel/ collect at Blue Heron Bridge. I also have planned a 2 day trip to Key West and would like to know of places I can snorkel from shore and collect. We have a 5th wheel and a boat but can’t bring our boat (43 ft RV won- our home). I have my license, am very familiar with what I can collect as I’m an avid collector in the Panhandle. I’m bringing my coolers, battery operated aeration, 10g tank set up, etc. Locations to go would be fantastic!!!
Thank you in advance. My tanks for attention. 75 and a 90 and my grand daughters favorite spot to eat.

Attachments

• 432E6431-5839-41F2-8EF0-8B46FB7D4A1C.jpeg
    432E6431-5839-41F2-8EF0-8B46FB7D4A1C.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 5

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and greetings from the Panhandle (Panama City). I will be traveling to West Palm 7-14 May to visit family and snorkel/ collect at Blue Heron Bridge. I also have planned a 2 day trip to Key West and would like to know of places I can snorkel from shore and collect. We have a 5th wheel and a boat but can’t bring our boat (43 ft RV won- our home). I have my license, am very familiar with what I can collect as I’m an avid collector in the Panhandle. I’m bringing my coolers, battery operated aeration, 10g tank set up, etc. Locations to go would be fantastic!!!
Thank you in advance. My tanks for attention. 75 and a 90 and my grand daughters favorite spot to eat.
I've found neat marine life near most of the bridges down there. A post a few back in this thread talked about horseshoe beach one island below bahia honda.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to reply so slowly, but we just got back from hiking in and around the Grand Canyon and the internet was VERY difficult to find!

I'm sure there are places to snorkel around Key West, but I've never done it. IMHO there are just too many people. The Horseshoe is a great place to snorkel and collect.
The inside is mostly deep water, but if you can free dive 15" or more, there are flame scallops and coral banded shrimp galore!
Picture2.jpg

Out toward the open end of the quarry and along the inside edge to the left (SW) are the best areas. Picking up rocks to look under will get you to a lot of wildlife.
Picture1.jpg

Also, there is now a walkway from the parking lot, around the NE end of the island (under the bridge) and out to a good snorkel site. But this one is far less protected against the prevailing SE wind, so it's only good on pretty calm days.

Have fun and now that I'm home, feel free to ask questions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back