Snowflake clowns fighting

Lfrench

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 snowflake clowns and 2 bta. Each clown hosted their own nem, so after researching that means both are now females. However after our last water change the 2 have been going back and forth to both nems, now they are fighting. I'm not sure what to do. I know that the more aggressive one will probably kill the other one. So I could use some suggestions please.

OP
OP
Lfrench

Lfrench

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do end up having to get rid of one, will I be able to introduce any other clowns to my tank? Maybe a mate for the dominant one or even a different couple?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t keep two females.
Keep one and add a sexually immature one....that is one that’s about 1/2 to 3/4”.
Otherwise there will be no peace.

OP
OP
Lfrench

Lfrench

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t keep two females.
Keep one and add a sexually immature one....that is one that’s about 1/2 to 3/4”.
Otherwise there will be no peace.
Ok thank you for your suggestion.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for your suggestion.
Your sure you have 2 females?
How long have they been together?
Did you buy mature ones from a group or pairing tank?
Where they friends and then stopped and split the tank?
Unless you started with 2 known females, the male would have stayed male, as a female was present.
Just curious...

OP
OP
Lfrench

Lfrench

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sure you have 2 females?
How long have they been together?
Did you buy mature ones from a group or pairing tank?
Where they friends and then stopped and split the tank?
Unless you started with 2 known females, the male would have stayed male, as a female was present.
Just curious...
So we got them as little so I assume they were both male. Then 1 of them started hosting the bta while the other one didn't it tried to host my Duncan and then the Duncan died. Then the bta split and we had 2. So I put the 2nd nem on the other side of the tank so the other clown could go to it, and it did. Everything was fine they both had their own, then I did a really big water change and since then they both went to just one nem and would not go to the other side of the tank to the other one. I had tried to coax her to go over with no success she just kept going back to the other one. Now they both go back and forth to both nems, just fighting all the time.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got them as little so I assume they were both male. Then 1 of them started hosting the bta while the other one didn't it tried to host my Duncan and then the Duncan died. Then the bta split and we had 2. So I put the 2nd nem on the other side of the tank so the other clown could go to it, and it did. Everything was fine they both had their own, then I did a really big water change and since then they both went to just one nem and would not go to the other side of the tank to the other one. I had tried to coax her to go over with no success she just kept going back to the other one. Now they both go back and forth to both nems, just fighting all the time.
If they are continually fighting to the point of damage, or no rest period, then ones gotta go.

Things like biting and being tossed back in forth by the fin would be worse case scenario.

If it’s just some squabbling, i would just keep watch.
It may cease.

I have not had two small clowns ever become 2 females, but, anything is possible.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back